How Do You Calculate the Resonance Energy of Benzene?

In summary, to determine the resonance energy of gaseous benzene, we can use the following equation: R.E. = ΔH(observed) - ΔH(calculated). By substituting the given values and using the equation 6C + 3H2 -> C6H6, we can calculate the values for ΔH(observed) and ΔH(calculated). However, for an accurate result, it is important to correctly dissociate 3 H-H bonds in the calculation.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the resonance energy of gaseous benzene from the following data
[itex]ΔH^{o}_{diss}(H,g)=435.9kJmol^{-1}, ΔH^{o}_{sub} C_{graphite}=718.4kJmol^{-1}
ΔH^{o}_{f} Benzene(g)=82.9kJmol^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]ε_{C-H}=416.3kJmol^{-1},ε_{C-C}=331.4kJmol^{-1},ε_{C=C}=591.3kJmol^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the following reaction

[itex]6C+3H_{2} \rightarrow C_{6}H_{6}[/itex]

To calculate ΔH
[itex]\left[ 6 \times ΔH^{o}_{sub} C_{graphite} + 6 \times ΔH^{o}_{diss}(H,g) \right] - \left[ 6 \times ε_{C-H} + 3 \times ε_{C-C} + 3 \times ε_{C=C} \right][/itex]

Now resonance energy can be calculated by
[itex]R.E. = ΔH_{observed}-ΔH_{calculated}[/itex]

Substituting the values does not give me the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate ΔH
[itex]\left[ 6 \times ΔH^{o}_{sub} C_{graphite} + 3 \times ΔH^{o}_{diss}(H,g) \right] - \left[ 6 \times ε_{C-H} + 3 \times ε_{C-C} + 3 \times ε_{C=C} \right][/itex]

I believe you are dissociating 3 H-H bonds.

AGNuke said:
To calculate ΔH
[itex]\left[ 6 \times ΔH^{o}_{sub} C_{graphite} + 3 \times ΔH^{o}_{diss}(H,g) \right] - \left[ 6 \times ε_{C-H} + 3 \times ε_{C-C} + 3 \times ε_{C=C} \right][/itex]

I believe you are dissociating 3 H-H bonds.

OK So I got my answer(not exactly but very close) but the answer given in my book is positive unlike mine.

Its because you did mistake there again.

R.E. = H(calculated) - H(observed)

I think there may be some missing information or some assumptions made in the given data. It would be helpful to know the source of the data and any other relevant information. Additionally, it is important to note that resonance energy is not a directly measurable quantity and can vary depending on the method used to calculate it. Therefore, the exact value of resonance energy may differ depending on the approach taken.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Resonance Energy of Benzene?

1. What is resonance energy?

Resonance energy is the difference in energy between the most stable actual structure and the most stable hypothetical structure of a molecule, ion, or radical.

2. How is resonance energy calculated?

Resonance energy is calculated by taking the difference in energy between the actual structure and the hypothetical structure, and multiplying it by the fractional weight of the hypothetical structure. This calculation can be done using computational methods or through experimental measurements.

3. Why is resonance energy important?

Resonance energy helps to explain the stability and reactivity of molecules, ions, and radicals. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of organic compounds.

4. Can resonance energy be negative?

Yes, resonance energy can be negative. This indicates that the hypothetical structure is more stable than the actual structure, and the molecule, ion, or radical is highly reactive and prone to undergo reactions to reach a more stable state.

5. How does resonance energy affect bond lengths and strengths?

Resonance energy can affect bond lengths and strengths by altering the distribution of electrons in a molecule. This can lead to changes in the bond order, causing some bonds to be longer and weaker, while others become shorter and stronger.