How Do You Calculate the Rotation Rate of a Space Station Wheel?

In summary: I retried the the computation with the 2π conversion factor that I forgot on my first try. And my answer is a little closer but still no cigar.I think I might have gotten the answer if I had remembered to use the omega symbol in the equation. After retrying the computation with ω2 instead of v2/r, I got .084388.
Ninjaku

Homework Statement

Basically the problem is asking me to find the rate of rotation of a space station that is in the shape of a wheel 120m in diameter, and rotates to provide an "artificial gravity" of 3.00 m/s.

And it has to be in rev/min.

Homework Equations

The only equation so far I that has to deal with this is the one

ac = [tex]v^2/r[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

it seemed pretty simple and straightforward. So first i took the gravity which is of course the acceleration in this case. And then set it equal to v^2/60.

Then i solved for v.

After solving for v I used that to see how long one revolution is by using the equation, v=d/t. Substituting in the 120 m for d.

So I send up with a time in sec for every 120m revolution.
Then I converted from sec to min by divinding by 60.

I still can't get the answer in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ninjaku! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ninjaku said:
So I send up with a time in sec for every 120m revolution.
Then I converted from sec to min by divinding by 60.

I still can't get the answer in the book.

Did you use the 2π factor to convert radius to circumference? :wink:

(and btw it would have been easier to start with the alternative formula ac = ω2r instead of v2/r)

Hey thanks for the reply.

I retried the the computation with the 2π conversion factor that I forgot on my first try. And my answer is a little closer but still no cigar.

The answer in the book is 2.14rev/min

I got .084388.

Oh and I'm not reallly familiar with that other formula, what does omega represent in that equation.

Well, I make it 2.14 also.

Show us how you got .084388.

(ω is the angular velocity in radians per second: v = ωr, ω = v/r :wink:)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rotation Rate of a Space Station Wheel?

1. What is the rate of rotation of a wheel?

The rate of rotation of a wheel is the number of complete revolutions it makes in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is the rate of rotation of a wheel calculated?

The rate of rotation of a wheel can be calculated by dividing the number of rotations by the time it takes to make those rotations. For example, if a wheel makes 10 rotations in 5 seconds, its rate of rotation would be 2 RPM (10 rotations / 5 seconds).

3. What factors can affect the rate of rotation of a wheel?

The rate of rotation of a wheel can be affected by the size and weight of the wheel, the force applied to it, and any external forces acting on it. Friction and air resistance can also impact the rate of rotation.

4. How does the rate of rotation of a wheel affect its speed?

The rate of rotation of a wheel is directly related to its speed. A higher rate of rotation means a higher speed, while a lower rate of rotation means a lower speed. This relationship is affected by the wheel's size and the gear ratio.

5. Why is the rate of rotation of a wheel important?

The rate of rotation of a wheel is important because it helps determine the speed, power, and efficiency of a machine or vehicle. It is also used in various industries, such as manufacturing and transportation, to measure and control the movement of wheels and other rotating objects.