How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant in Van der Waals Potential?

In summary, the van der Waals potential between two inert atoms can be characterized by the expression shown in the homework statement. The function can be sketched and expanded around the minimum in the form U = U(ro) + ½ k(r-ro)2. To evaluate k in terms of s and e, a Taylor Series expansion can be used to solve for k.
Fr3shFr0st

Homework Statement

The van der Waals potential between two inert atoms is often characterized by the expression:

http://bama.ua.edu/~stjones/253hw_files/image025.gif

Sketch the function. Expand the potential around the minimum in the form U = U(ro) + ½ k(r-ro)2. Evaluate k in terms of s and e.

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the sketch down fine. I am just unclear about the second part. Nothing in my physics textbook helps. What i have done so far is take the original equation and substitute it in
U = U(ro) + ½ k(r-ro)2. Doing that i got:

U = 4e[(σ/ro)^12-(σ/ro)^6] + ½ k(r-ro)2

From there i solved for k and got:

k={U-[4e[(σ/ro)^12-(σ/ro)^6]]/(r-ro)^2}*2

Im not sure if I am the right path but from here i don't know how to get k in terms of s and e. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Taylor Series expansions (from when you took calculus)? That's the key to solving this one.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant in Van der Waals Potential?

What is the Van der Waals Potential?

The Van der Waals potential is a mathematical representation of the attractive and repulsive forces between molecules or atoms. It is named after the Dutch scientist Johannes Diderik van der Waals, who proposed the existence of these forces in the late 19th century.

What causes the Van der Waals forces?

The Van der Waals forces are caused by temporary dipoles that occur in molecules or atoms due to the constant movement of electrons. These dipoles can induce similar dipoles in nearby molecules, leading to attractive forces between them.

What is the significance of the Van der Waals potential?

The Van der Waals potential is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of molecules in gases, liquids, and solids. It also plays a crucial role in explaining phenomena such as surface tension and the formation of droplets.

How is the Van der Waals potential calculated?

The Van der Waals potential is calculated using the Lennard-Jones potential equation, which takes into account both the attractive and repulsive forces between molecules. This equation uses parameters such as the size of the molecules and the strength of the intermolecular forces.

Can the Van der Waals potential be modified?

Yes, the Van der Waals potential can be modified by adding additional terms to the Lennard-Jones potential equation. This allows for a more accurate representation of the intermolecular forces in certain situations, such as at very short distances or in more complex molecules.

Back