How do you calculate the strong isospin of nucleons?

In summary, the question asks to calculate the strong isospin components of tritium (3H) and helium-3 (3He) using two equations, Iz = q/e - (S+B)/2 and Iz = 1/2((nup - nantiup)- (ndown - nantidown)). Both equations result in Iz = 3/2 for 3H and 1/2 for 3He, but the total isospin is stated to be I = 1/2 for both particles. The mistake was made assuming 3H has 3 protons, when it actually has only 1, resulting in the correct calculation of Iz = 1/2 for both particles
JustAnother
First post, so hi everyone.

I have been banging my head against this question for a little while now. I've found two methods that appear to give the same result, but am not quite happy with what I've done:

Homework Statement

Calculate the strong isospin components of both tritium (3H) and helium-3 (3He)

Homework Equations

I've found two equations that give this value:

Iz = q/e - (S+B)/2

and

Iz = 1/2((nup - nantiup)- (ndown - nantidown))

The Attempt at a Solution

Both of those give the result Iz = 3/2 for tritium and 1/2 for helium-3. However, the question tells me that both of them have total isospin I = 1/2. I was under the impression that Iz couldn't exceed I.

Am I wrong? Or have I got one of the calculations wrong?

EDIT: Oops- I think I see what I've done wrong. I assumed that 3H has 3 protons, when it obviously doesn't. Which makes me, well, an idiot. :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct calculation should be Iz = 1/2((nup - nantiup)- (ndown - nantidown)) for both 3H and 3He, giving Iz = 1/2 for both.

Related to How do you calculate the strong isospin of nucleons?

1. What is strong isospin in relation to nucleons?

Strong isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry of the strong force between nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the atomic nucleus. It is similar to electric charge in that it can have positive, negative, or neutral values, but it specifically applies to the strong force.

2. How do you calculate the strong isospin of a nucleon?

The strong isospin of a nucleon can be calculated by determining the number of up and down quarks in the nucleon's composition. Protons, which have two up quarks and one down quark, have a strong isospin value of +1/2. Neutrons, which have one up quark and two down quarks, have a strong isospin value of -1/2.

3. What is the significance of strong isospin in nuclear physics?

Strong isospin is significant in nuclear physics because it helps us understand the behavior of nucleons in the atomic nucleus and how they interact with each other through the strong force. It also plays a role in determining the stability of the nucleus and the types of nuclear reactions that can occur.

4. Can the strong isospin of a nucleon change?

Yes, the strong isospin of a nucleon can change through certain interactions with other particles. For example, a proton can change into a neutron through the emission of a positive pion, resulting in a change in its strong isospin value from +1/2 to -1/2.

5. How does strong isospin relate to other quantum numbers?

Strong isospin is related to other quantum numbers, such as electric charge and spin, through the concept of isospin symmetry. This symmetry states that particles with the same strong isospin value will have similar characteristics, just as particles with the same electric charge or spin have similar characteristics. This allows us to make predictions about the properties of particles based on their strong isospin values.