How Do You Calculate the Total Momentum of Two Joggers?

In summary, the question asks about finding the magnitude and direction of the sum of the momenta of two joggers, one heading due east and the other heading 39 degrees north of east, both at a speed of 3m/s. The conversation suggests doing some reading on vector addition and momentum, and trying to solve the problem before asking for help.
stupif
1. an 85kg jogger is heading due east at a speed of 3m/s. A 55kg jogger is heading 39degree north of east at a speed of 3m/s. Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of the momenta of the two joggers.

2.i have no idea about this question...can someone tells me what is this question talking about and what should i do in previously...
help me...please
thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
stupif said:
i have no idea about this question...
I’m sure you must have some idea about the question. If this is a homework question, then isn’t this subject covered by your instructor and supported by course materials? This question is talking about vector addition—in this case, the addition of 2 momentum vectors. Have you covered vector addition? Momentum? Do some reading and give it a try, and then come back with any questions you might have.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Total Momentum of Two Joggers?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In simpler terms, it is the amount of force an object has while it is moving.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound.

How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in a collision?

To calculate the final velocities of objects in a collision, you can use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be written as m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity before and after the collision. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the final velocities (v1' and v2').