How Do You Calculate the Transformation Matrix for a Quadrilateral in 3D Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates and matrix for a quadrilateral in R^3, formed by rotating, dilating, and translating a given quadrilateral. The attempted solution involves using a matrix with a substituted angle, multiplying it by the identity matrix, and then using a transformation function. The questioner also mentions using projective coordinates to write the transformation as a 4 by 4 matrix.
snarky23

Homework Statement

Consider the quadrilateral (namely Q) in R^3 formed by the points
(1, 0, 0), (2, 0, 0), (1, 1, 3), and (2, 1, 3).

a) What should the coordinates be for the figure R we get by rotating Q counterclockwise in the x-y plane by 45 degrees, then dilating it by a factor of 3/2, then translating it along the vector (-2, 1, -1)?

b) Find the matrix that transforms Q into R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so what I did for (a) was I used the matrix

cosθ -sinθ 0
sinθ cosθ 0
0 0 1

Then substituted 45 for θ.

After this, multiplied the identity matrix for R^3 by 3/2 and then multiplied it by the matrix with 45 substituted for θ.

Then T(x,y,z) = (-2+3sqrt(2)x/4-3sqrt(2)y/4,1+3sqrt(2)x/4+3sqrt(2)y/4,-1+3z/2).

I substituted each of the quadrilateral points in for T(x, y, z) to come up with the four points and got:

(3/(2√2) - 2, 3/(2√2) + 1, -1),
(3/√2 - 2, 3/√2 + 1, -1),
(-2, 3/√2 + 1, 3.5),
(3/(2√2) - 2, 9/(2√2) + 1, 3.5)

I was wondering if someone could show me how to find the matrix that transforms Q into R. It would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
snarky23 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the quadrilateral (namely Q) in R^3 formed by the points
(1, 0, 0), (2, 0, 0), (1, 1, 3), and (2, 1, 3).

a) What should the coordinates be for the figure R we get by rotating Q counterclockwise in the x-y plane by 45 degrees, then dilating it by a factor of 3/2, then translating it along the vector (-2, 1, -1)?

b) Find the matrix that transforms Q into R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so what I did for (a) was I used the matrix

cosθ -sinθ 0
sinθ cosθ 0
0 0 1

Then substituted 45 for θ.

After this, multiplied the identity matrix for R^3 by 3/2 and then multiplied it by the matrix with 45 substituted for θ.

Then T(x,y,z) = (-2+3sqrt(2)x/4-3sqrt(2)y/4,1+3sqrt(2)x/4+3sqrt(2)y/4,-1+3z/2).

I substituted each of the quadrilateral points in for T(x, y, z) to come up with the four points and got:

(3/(2√2) - 2, 3/(2√2) + 1, -1),
(3/√2 - 2, 3/√2 + 1, -1),
(-2, 3/√2 + 1, 3.5),
(3/(2√2) - 2, 9/(2√2) + 1, 3.5)

I was wondering if someone could show me how to find the matrix that transforms Q into R. It would be greatly appreciated!
Translation in 3 dimensions cannot be written as a 3 by 3 matrix- it is a vector addition. However, using "projective coordinates", you can write any such transformation as a 4 by 4 matrix. Have you done anything with that?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Transformation Matrix for a Quadrilateral in 3D Space?

1. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical representation of a geometric transformation, such as translation, rotation, or scaling. It is a square matrix that can be used to transform points or objects in a coordinate system.

2. How do you solve a transformation matrix problem?

To solve a transformation matrix problem, you need to first identify the type of transformation (translation, rotation, or scaling) and the given information, such as the coordinates of the original points and the transformation matrix. Then, you can apply the appropriate mathematical operations to the transformation matrix and the original points to find the coordinates of the transformed points.

3. What is the purpose of using a transformation matrix?

The purpose of using a transformation matrix is to simplify and generalize geometric transformations. By using a transformation matrix, you can apply the same transformation to multiple points or objects without having to perform individual calculations for each one. This is especially useful in computer graphics and animation.

4. Can a transformation matrix be used for 3D transformations?

Yes, a transformation matrix can be used for 3D transformations. In this case, the transformation matrix will be a 4x4 matrix, with the additional row and column representing the z-axis. The same principles apply for solving a 3D transformation matrix problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using transformation matrices?

Transformation matrices have limitations in terms of the types of transformations they can represent. They are most commonly used for linear transformations, meaning that they cannot accurately represent non-linear transformations such as bending or twisting. Additionally, transformation matrices can only be used for transformations that are applied uniformly to all points or objects.