How Do You Calculate the Upward Flux of a Vector Field Over a Plane Section?

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the upward flux of the vector F(x,y,z) = x i + xy j + xz k over the region S in the first octant is 19.5 units.
hils0005

Homework Statement

Let S be part of the plane 3x + 2y + z =9 lying in the first octant. Calculate the upward flux of vectorF(x,y,z) = x i + xy j + xz k

Homework Equations

z=9-3x-2y
dz/dx=-3
dz/dy=-2

F(dot)(-dz/dx i - dz/dy j + k)

The Attempt at a Solution

x i + xy j + xz k (dot) (3i +2j + k)=3x + 2xy + xz
I then substituted z: =3x + 2xy + 9x -3x^2 - 2xy

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] -3x^2 + 12x dydx

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] -4.5x/3 + 4.5
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 3

Any help on whether this is correct or not would be apprecitated

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors and missing steps. Here is a step-by-step solution:

1. Write the given equation in terms of z: z = 9 - 3x - 2y.
2. Calculate the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y: dz/dx = -3 and dz/dy = -2.
3. Use the given vector field F to calculate the dot product with the normal vector of the plane: F · (-3i - 2j + k) = -3x - 2xy + xz.
4. Substitute the expression for z from step 1 into the dot product: -3x - 2xy + x(9 - 3x - 2y) = -3x - 2xy + 9x - 3x^2 - 2xy.
5. Simplify the expression: -3x^2 + 12x - 4xy.
6. Write the integral for the upward flux over the region in the first octant: ∫∫ (-3x^2 + 12x - 4xy) dydx, with the limits of integration as 0 ≤ y ≤ (-4.5x/3) + 4.5 and 0 ≤ x ≤ 3.
7. Integrate with respect to y first: ∫ (-3x^2y + 12xy - 2xy^2) dy, with the limits of integration 0 and (-4.5x/3) + 4.5.
8. Substitute the limits and integrate with respect to x: ∫ (-3x^3/2 + 6x^2 + 2x) dx, with the limits of integration 0 and 3.
9. Evaluate the integral: (-3(3)^3/2 + 6(3)^2 + 2(3)) - (-3(0)^3/2 + 6(0)^2 + 2(0)) = 19.5.
10. The final answer is 19.5 units of upward flux.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Upward Flux of a Vector Field Over a Plane Section?

What is the definition of upward flux?

Upward flux is a measure of the amount of fluid or particles moving upwards per unit time through a given surface.

How is upward flux calculated?

The upward flux is calculated by multiplying the velocity of the fluid or particles by the surface area through which it is moving.

What are the units of upward flux?

The units of upward flux are typically measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) in the SI system or cubic feet per second (ft3/s) in the imperial system.

What factors affect the upward flux?

The upward flux is influenced by the velocity of the fluid or particles, the surface area through which it is moving, and the properties of the fluid or particles such as density and viscosity.

Why is calculating upward flux important in science?

Calculating upward flux is important in various fields of science such as fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, and environmental science. It helps us understand the movement of fluids and particles and how they impact different systems and processes in our world.