How Do You Calculate the Voltage Across v1 Using KCL and KVL?

In summary, to find the voltage across v1 in the given circuit, you can use KVL to find the voltage drop across the 3A current source and then subtract that from 4V. Alternatively, you can also consider the voltage between the top and bottom horizontal wires on the left side of the circuit, which is 4V minus the voltage drop across the 1Ω resistor with 3A through it.
planauts

Homework Statement

Find the voltage across v1 in the circuit below:

http://puu.sh/1eD2R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using KVL across loop 1 (from left) and then:
LOOP2: v1, 2ohms,1ohm,4V
LOOP3: also: 5V, 2ohms, 1ohm, 4V

I seem to be getting 3V as the voltage across v1. I don't think I am right because it's not one of the options. The options are:

a) 9 V
b) -9 V
c) -5 V
d) 4 V

My rough work, (if you can decipher my penmanship - near the end, I skipped a steps and just did it in my head/calculator's memory):
http://puu.sh/1eD7L

Also, is it possible to use the loop with the 3A current source to do KVL? I thought it wasn't allowed because I don't know the voltage drop across the current source.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do know the voltage across the current source. It's 4V minus the drop across that right-most 2Ω resistor (that has 3A through it).

But a simpler way of looking at this is to say the voltage between the top and bottom horiz wires (on your left) is 4V minus the drop across the 1Ω (with 3A in it).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Voltage Across v1 Using KCL and KVL?

1. What is KCL and KVL in basic circuit analysis?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) states that the sum of voltage drops (or rises) in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

2. Why are KCL and KVL important in circuit analysis?

KCL and KVL are fundamental laws in circuit analysis and are used to analyze and solve complex circuits. They help us understand the flow of current and voltage in a circuit, and can be applied to both DC and AC circuits.

3. How do you apply KCL and KVL in solving circuit problems?

To apply KCL and KVL, we first draw a circuit diagram and then label all the nodes and branches. Next, we write out the equations for KCL and KVL for each node and loop in the circuit. Finally, we solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. Can KCL or KVL be violated in a circuit?

No, KCL and KVL are fundamental laws of circuit analysis and cannot be violated in a circuit. If the calculated values do not satisfy these laws, then there must be an error in the circuit analysis or in the circuit itself.

5. Are there any limitations to using KCL and KVL in circuit analysis?

While KCL and KVL are important tools in circuit analysis, they have some limitations. They can only be applied to linear circuits (where the components follow Ohm's law) and they do not take into account the effects of parasitic elements such as capacitance and inductance. Additionally, they cannot be used in circuits with changing magnetic fields or non-steady state conditions.