How Do You Calculate the X-Coordinate of a Particle in Circular Motion?

In summary, the homework equation states that the particle moves on a circular path around the origin. The x-coordinate is 8.36 meters.
Cate

Homework Statement

The circular motion of a particle in the x-y plane is given by the equations: r(t)= 6.46 m, theta (t)= (6.96 rad/s) t, where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the polar angle measured counterclockwise from the positve x-axis. Calculate the x-coordinate of the particle at time t= 4.00s

Homework Equations

I can visualize it, but can't put the steps togather to solve it. I know I have to find out what angle the position vector is pointing at, then solve for t. The distance from the center of the point probably won't vary with t right?

Physics news on Phys.org
"I can visualize it, but can't put the steps togather to solve it. I know I have to find out what angle the position vector is pointing at, then solve for t. The distance from the center of the point probably won't vary with t right?"

Find theta when t = 4, then use the transformation equation x = r cos theta.

Yes, the particle moves on a circular path around the origin.

Thanks for your help! but how do I find theta?

Wait I plugged in four or t and got 27.84 for theta which I then plgged into my x= r. cos (theta) formula and got 8.36 m which is not the right answer...

Last edited:
You made a mistake with the computation of x. You can see that immediately...because your calculated value for the x-coordinate is *greater* than the radius! (That makes absolutely no sense). I would recalculate rcos(theta).

I did it agai and got 5.71 which is still wrong...

Theta is in radians, not degrees. Check which mode your calculator is in.

Cate said:
I did it agai and got 5.71 which is still wrong...

That's not very helpful to us. You should POST your work so that we can see if there is some sort of error. In this case, it's a question of punching a few buttons on your calculator and getting the result. There is not much opportunity for error. So here's what I'm going to do. Answer these questions:

1. What is the cosine of 27.84 (IS YOUR CALCULATOR IN RADIAN MODE?)

2. What is r times the cosine of 27.84 (i.e. what is 6.46 * the result of part 1)?

i'm sorry guys I'm really sleep deprived thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate the X-Coordinate of a Particle in Circular Motion?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of a particle along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle to the particle remains constant.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when the particle moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the particle changes along the circular path.

What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps a particle moving along a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to maintain the particle's direction and prevent it from moving in a straight line.

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position, while linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's linear position. In circular motion, they are related by the equation v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the change in speed of a particle moving along a curved path, while centripetal acceleration is the change in direction of a particle moving along a curved path. Tangential acceleration is perpendicular to the centripetal acceleration, and together they make up the total acceleration of the particle in circular motion.