How Do You Calculate Theta and Helium's Velocity After a Neutron Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a neutron and a helium nucleus, with given velocities and masses. The goal is to find the angle and velocity of the helium nucleus after the collision. To solve this problem, the basic principle of conservation of momentum is applied, and the given velocities are analyzed in components. This can be solved by setting up equations for conservation of momentum in both the x and y directions.
McKeavey

Homework Statement

A neutron with velocity 5E5 m/s and a mass of 1.66E-27 collides with a helium nucleus, mass of 4(1.66E-27) with a velocity of 3.7E5 m/s as shown. If the speed of the neutron after collision is 5E5 m/s and it is moving in the direction of motion of the nucleus after collision, find theta, and velocity of Helium (Prime).
Diagram shown in attachment.
*also the angle 39 + theta does not equal 90 degrees

Homework Equations

P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

None, I know absolutely nothing about this..
My teacher assigned it to us and expects us to solve it somehow..
Please if someone could lead my through the steps of solving it..It'd be greatly appreciated.

Don't expect me to know anything..

Attachments

• 456.jpg
    456.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
You apply the same basic principles of conservation of momentum, only now, you have to analyze it in components.

Which I do not know because I never learned it hah :/
I said I don't know anything about momentum :/

If you've done 2D kinematics, it should be really simple. Just remember the formula for conservation of momentum:

6393f9ed3185e9cac5f055f0041dbc63.png

where u1 and u2 are the velocities before collision, and v1 and v2 are the velocities after collision.

Split each velocity vector up into components and solve for what needs to be solved. So you should have the same equation (^) for both components except one will be analyzing the velocity vectors in the x -direction and one in the y-direction.

I can understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. Let me guide you through the steps to solve it.

First, let's define some variables:
- m1 = mass of the neutron
- v1 = velocity of the neutron before collision
- m2 = mass of the helium nucleus
- v2 = velocity of the helium nucleus before collision
- v1' = velocity of the neutron after collision
- v2' = velocity of the helium nucleus after collision
- θ = angle between the initial velocity of the neutron and the direction of motion of the helium nucleus after collision

Next, let's write down what we know from the problem:
- m1 = 1.66E-27 kg
- v1 = 5E5 m/s
- m2 = 4(1.66E-27) kg = 6.64E-27 kg
- v2 = 3.7E5 m/s
- v1' = 5E5 m/s
- v2' = to be determined
- θ = to be determined

Now, let's apply the conservation of momentum principle:
- Before collision: m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v1' + m2v2'
- After collision: m1v1' + m2v2' = (m1+m2)v1' + m2v2'
- Since the speed of the neutron after collision is the same as its initial speed, we can simplify the equations to: m2v2 = m2v2' and m1v1 = (m1+m2)v1'
- Solving for v2' and v1', we get: v2' = v2 and v1' = v1(m1+m2)/m2
- Now, we can plug in the known values and solve for v2': v2' = (6.64E-27 kg)(3.7E5 m/s)/(1.66E-27 kg) = 1.48E5 m/s
- Finally, we can use the law of cosines to find θ: v2'^2 = v1'^2 + v2^2 - 2v1'v2'cosθ
- Plugging in the known values, we get: (1.48E5 m/s)^2

Related to How Do You Calculate Theta and Helium's Velocity After a Neutron Collision?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in a particular direction at a constant speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other over a very short period of time.

How does momentum change in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the system remains the same before and after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What is an angled collision?

An angled collision is a type of collision in which the objects involved have different velocities and move in different directions before and after the collision. This results in a change in momentum for both objects.

How is the momentum of objects calculated in an angled collision?

In an angled collision, the momentum of each object can be calculated using the vector sum of their initial and final momentums. This takes into account the direction and magnitude of the objects' velocities before and after the collision.