How Do You Calculate Total Impedance in a Tuned R-LC Circuit?

In summary, we discussed how to calculate the bandwidth, half-power frequencies, the value of R and L, and the impedance offered to the supply at resonance and frequencies of ±2% from resonance for a given tuned R-LC circuit with known data. We also explored different approaches and approximations for finding the total impedance of the circuit.
bizuputyi

Homework Statement

Given data of the given tuned R-LC circuit:

[itex] Q=1000 [/itex]
[itex] f_{resonance} = 1MHz [/itex]
[itex] I = 15 \mu A [/itex]
[itex] V_{s} = 2.5V [/itex]
[itex] R_{L} = 10kΩ[/itex]
[itex] C=2nF [/itex]

Calculate the bandwidth, half-power frequencies, the value of R and L.
Estimate the impedance offered to the supply at resonance and at the frequencies of [itex] \pm[/itex]2% from resonance.

Homework Equations

[itex] BW = \frac{f_{r}}{Q} [/itex]

[itex] f_{lower}=f_{r} \Big( \sqrt{\frac{1}{4Q^2}+1}-\frac{1}{2Q} \Big)[/itex]

[itex] f_{upper}=f_{r} \Big( \sqrt{\frac{1}{4Q^2}+1}+\frac{1}{2Q} \Big)[/itex]

[itex] f_{r}=\frac{1}{2\Pi} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}[/itex]

[itex] Q=\frac{2\Pi f_{r}L}{R}[/itex]

[itex] R_{dynamic}=RQ^2[/itex]

[itex] \frac{Z}{R_{D}}=\frac{1}{1+j2Q\frac{δf}{f_{r}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] BW=1000Hz[/itex]

[itex] f_{lower}=999.5kHz[/itex]

[itex] f_{upper}=1000.5kHz[/itex]

[itex] L=25.33 \mu A [/itex]

[itex] R=0.159Ω [/itex]

Do these calculations appear to be correct?

I'm struggling to find total impedance of the circuit, although I have some idea:

Is it simply [itex] Z=\frac{V_{s}}{I}=166.67kΩ[/itex]?

or [itex] Y=j2\Pi f_{r}C+\frac{1}{R+j2\Pi f_{r}L}[/itex] then [itex] Z=\frac{1}{Y}[/itex]

from which I get [itex] Z=159006+j4780 Ω [/itex] plus [itex] R_{L} [/itex] total impedance comes to [itex] Z_{t}=169006+j4780 Ω [/itex]

or from dynamic impedance equation [itex] Z=RQ^2=159kΩ [/itex] plus [itex] R_L [/itex] again [itex] Z_t=169kΩ [/itex]

or this is a bit complicated but I found it in the textbook:
[itex] Z= \frac{R \Big( 1+\frac{(2\Pi f_r)^2L^2}{R^2} \Big) }{1+j(2\Pi f_r)\frac{L}{R} \Big( \frac{C}{L}R^2+(2\Pi f_r)LC-1 \Big) } [/itex] from which I get [itex] Z=159138+j1700 Ω [/itex] plus [itex] R_L [/itex] again [itex] Z_t=169138+j1700Ω[/itex]

Which of the total impedance is right? Maybe all of them are acceptable? Or a fifth one?

And as of to find total impedance at the frequencies [itex] \pm [/itex] 2%:

From the relevant equation I've got [itex] Z=99-j3972Ω [/itex] plus [itex] R_L → Z_t=10099-3872Ω [/itex]

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• R-LC.jpg
    R-LC.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
For high-Q circuits like this one you need to use approximations.

You should be able to derive the following:
|Z|/Zo ~ {1 + (2Qδ)2}-1/2

where |Z| is magnitude of the RLC network impedance (as seen by RL) at fractional freequency deviation δ, and Zo is the RLC network (real) impedance at resonance.

δ = (ω - ωo)/ωo
f = frequency, Hz
ωo = resonant frequency
Q = quality factor at resonance.

You can then compute R and L for the RLC network and go on from there.

The sequence of computations might be ωo → L → R → half-power δ → Zo → |Z|2%.

Right, I think I get it. This is similar approach than mine and I get the same results. I was overthinking a bit on Z as such a high-Q circuit has a very sharp-edged graph.
That's one more tiny step towards my degree. Thank you!

bizuputyi said:
Right, I think I get it. This is similar approach than mine and I get the same results. I was overthinking a bit on Z as such a high-Q circuit has a very sharp-edged graph.
That's one more tiny step towards my degree. Thank you!

Good luck to you!

I would like to commend you on your efforts to solve this problem and find various solutions. It shows that you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in tuned R-LC circuits.

To answer your question about the total impedance, it is important to note that impedance is a complex quantity, meaning it has both real and imaginary components. Therefore, all of the solutions you have found are correct, as they represent different ways of calculating the total impedance at resonance. However, the most accurate solution would be the one that takes into account the dynamic resistance, as it considers the effect of the circuit's Q factor.

As for finding the impedance at frequencies \pm 2% from resonance, you have correctly used the formula provided in the homework. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes that the circuit is still operating in its resonant state. If there are any changes in the circuit parameters, such as the values of L and C, the impedance at these frequencies may not be accurately represented by this formula.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is commendable, and your calculations appear to be correct. Keep up the good work and continue to explore different methods of solving problems to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts involved.

Related to How Do You Calculate Total Impedance in a Tuned R-LC Circuit?

1. What is a tuned R-LC circuit?

A tuned R-LC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) in series or parallel. It is designed to pass a specific frequency or range of frequencies while blocking all others.

2. How does a tuned R-LC circuit work?

A tuned R-LC circuit works by utilizing the properties of the inductor and capacitor to create a resonance effect. When the circuit is tuned to its resonant frequency, the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a high impedance and allowing the circuit to pass the desired frequency.

3. What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a tuned R-LC circuit?

The formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a tuned R-LC circuit is: f = 1 / (2*pi*sqrt(L*C)), where f is the resonant frequency in Hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in Henrys (H), and C is the capacitance in Farads (F).

4. What are some applications of tuned R-LC circuits?

Tuned R-LC circuits are commonly used in radio and television receivers to select and amplify specific frequencies. They are also used in electronic filters, oscillators, and in power supply circuits to reduce interference.

5. How do you analyze a tuned R-LC circuit?

To analyze a tuned R-LC circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and the formulas for calculating impedance, current, and voltage in a series or parallel circuit. You can also use circuit analysis software or an oscilloscope to visualize the behavior of the circuit at different frequencies.