How Do You Calculate Turns and Current in an Ideal Transformer?

• Thread starter Physicist3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary: Might give you some clues.Agreed! Where was your textbook published? That might offer a clue as to the intended frequency. What about context (the chapter associated with the problem)? Might give you some clues.
Physicist3

Homework Statement

The Mag FLux Density in the core of a 4.4kVA 440V/4400V step up TX is 0.8T (rms). If the induced emf per turn is 10V, find: a) the primary and secondary turns, b) The cross sec area of the core, c) the full load current in each winding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part a isn't hard, as this question is in a chapter dealing with ideal transformers and so The total emf induced is the same as the applied voltage. The Number of primary turns can therefore be deduced by;

Total emf induced/emf per turn = 440/10 = 44 turns in primary,

this can then be done again for the secondary and the resulting value for number of secondary turn is 440.

For the third part, I believe that the primary current = VA/V1 = 4400VA /440V = 10A, anf the secondary current = VA/V2 = 4400VA / 4400V = 1A. This would make sense based on all the above calculations for turns etc.

I would like some help with the second part of the equation, as i cannot understand how it can be solved using the emf equations for a single phase transformer, as there is no frequency given??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:

Homework Statement

The Mag FLux Density in the core of a 4.4kVA 440V/4400V step up TX is 0.8T (rms). If the induced emf per turn is 10V, find: a) the primary and secondary turns, b) The cross sec area of the core, c) the full load current in each winding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part a isn't hard, as this question is in a chapter dealing with ideal transformers and so The total emf induced is the same as the applied voltage. The Number of primary turns can therefore be deduced by;

Total emf induced/emf per turn = 440/10 = 44 turns in primary,

this can then be done again for the secondary and the resulting value for number of secondary turn is 440.

For the third part, I believe that the primary current = VA/V1 = 4400VA /440V = 10A, anf the secondary current = VA/V2 = 4400VA / 4400V = 1A. This would make sense based on all the above calculations for turns etc.

I would like some help with the second part of the equation, as i cannot understand how it can be solved using the emf equations for a single phase transformer, as there is no frequency given??

Thanks

You have to assume a frequency. Probably 60 Hz. Good point!

rude man said:
You have to assume a frequency. Probably 60 Hz. Good point!

This is what I thought, but obviously there are two feasible frequencies that could be used (50Hz or 60Hz), so the accuracy of the answer will therefore be affected. I hate it when textbooks don't give answers to their questions!

Physicist3 said:
This is what I thought, but obviously there are two feasible frequencies that could be used (50Hz or 60Hz), so the accuracy of the answer will therefore be affected. I hate it when textbooks don't give answers to their questions!

Agreed! Where was your textbook published? That might offer a clue as to the intended frequency. What about context (the chapter associated with the problem)?

for your question.

For part b, the cross-sectional area of the core can be found using the equation B = (μ0μrN)/A, where B is the magnetic flux density, μ0 is the permeability of free space (constant value), μr is the relative permeability of the core material (can be found in a table), N is the total number of turns, and A is the cross-sectional area of the core.

Since all the values in this equation are known except for A, we can rearrange it to solve for A:

A = (μ0μrN)/B

Substituting in the given values, we get:

A = (4π x 10^-7)(μr)(44) / 0.8 = 1.76μr m^2

So, the cross-sectional area of the core is 1.76 times the relative permeability of the core material.

For part c, your calculations for the primary and secondary currents are correct. The frequency is not needed in this case because the induced emf per turn is given in the problem, so we do not need to use the emf equation for a single phase transformer (which includes frequency).

I hope this helps!

Related to How Do You Calculate Turns and Current in an Ideal Transformer?

1. What is an ideal transformer?

An ideal transformer is a theoretical device that is used to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current (AC) power supply. It consists of two coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, which are wrapped around a shared iron core. The transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one coil to the other.

2. How does an ideal transformer work?

An ideal transformer operates on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field around the iron core. This changing magnetic field induces an alternating current in the secondary winding, which results in a step-up or step-down of the voltage, depending on the number of turns in each winding.

3. What is the difference between an ideal transformer and a real transformer?

An ideal transformer is a theoretical concept, whereas a real transformer is a physical device that is used in practical applications. An ideal transformer has no losses, whereas a real transformer has losses due to factors such as resistance in the windings and hysteresis in the iron core. Therefore, a real transformer is not 100% efficient and cannot achieve the perfect voltage transformation as an ideal transformer can.

4. What are the applications of ideal transformers?

Ideal transformers are commonly used in the electrical power industry to step up the voltage of electricity generated at power plants for long-distance transmission and step down the voltage for use in homes and businesses. They are also used in electronic devices, such as power adapters, to convert high voltage AC to lower voltage DC.

5. What are the limitations of ideal transformers?

Although ideal transformers are a useful theoretical concept, they cannot be achieved in real life due to the presence of losses. They also cannot transform DC voltage, as it does not create a changing magnetic field. Additionally, ideal transformers are not capable of amplifying power, as the power output cannot be greater than the power input.