How Do You Calculate Uncertainties in Physics Problems?

In summary, understanding uncertainties involves acknowledging and accepting the unknowns and unpredictabilities in various situations, whether in science, business, or everyday life. It requires considering multiple possible outcomes and their likelihood, and making informed decisions based on available information. It also involves recognizing the limitations of our knowledge and being open to adapting and revising our understanding as new information becomes available. Understanding uncertainties is an important skill that can help us navigate through challenges and make better choices in an ever-changing world.
xyz_a

Homework Statement

Remember: all answers (including uncertainties) must have three significant digits.
For all problems: use the value of g given: g = 9.802 m/s2
symimage.gif
0.0005 m/s2.

ac6da6c34f.png

Look at the diagram in the above image. Suppose the total mass of hook 2 is m2 = 951.0 g
symimage.gif
2.3 g, and θ = 31.90o
symimage.gif
0.07o, and the system is in equilibrium. Find the following quantities, with uncertainties:

- the total weight on hook 2. w2 = ___ N +/- ___ N

- the magnitude of the force on hook 1. F1 = ___ N +/- ___ N

- The magnitude of the total force on hook 3. F3 = ___ N +/- ___ N

Homework Equations

[/B]
F = m * a

The Attempt at a Solution

w2 = m * g = 0.9510 * 9.802 = 9.32N

F1 = 9.32 * cos(31.90) = 7.91N

F3 = 9.32 * sin(31.90) = 4.93N

I am just unable to solve the uncertainties. Someone else suggested that I use this equation Δf = df/dx*Δx + df/dy*Δy but I don't know how to use it or which values I have to use with it. Can someone please explain how I can do this? I'm really bad at solving uncertainties since I never really understood how to do it. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
xyz_a said:

Homework Statement

Remember: all answers (including uncertainties) must have three significant digits.
For all problems: use the value of g given: g = 9.802 m/s2
symimage.gif
0.0005 m/s2.

ac6da6c34f.png

Look at the diagram in the above image. Suppose the total mass of hook 2 is m2 = 951.0 g
symimage.gif
2.3 g, and θ = 31.90o
symimage.gif
0.07o, and the system is in equilibrium. Find the following quantities, with uncertainties:

- the total weight on hook 2. w2 = ___ N +/- ___ N

- the magnitude of the force on hook 1. F1 = ___ N +/- ___ N

- The magnitude of the total force on hook 3. F3 = ___ N +/- ___ N

Homework Equations

[/B]
F = m * a

The Attempt at a Solution

w2 = m * g = 0.9510 * 9.802 = 9.32N

F1 = 9.32 * cos(31.90) = 7.91N

F3 = 9.32 * sin(31.90) = 4.93N

I am just unable to solve the uncertainties. Someone else suggested that I use this equation Δf = df/dx*Δx + df/dy*Δy but I don't know how to use it or which values I have to use with it. Can someone please explain how I can do this? I'm really bad at solving uncertainties since I never really understood how to do it. Thank you.
There are two essentially different appeoaches to dealing with error ranges. One engineering approach is to consider, literally, the range of possible values consistent with the given information. This is used where e.g. machine tolerances are critical in manufacturing. More common in scientific circles is to treat the ranges as representing some (unstated) number of standard deviations of a normally distributed error. In this approach one adds up variances. See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_of_uncertainty#Simplification

haruspex said:
There are two essentially different appeoaches to dealing with error ranges. One engineering approach is to consider, literally, the range of possible values consistent with the given information. This is used where e.g. machine tolerances are critical in manufacturing. More common in scientific circles is to treat the ranges as representing some (unstated) number of standard deviations of a normally distributed error. In this approach one adds up variances. See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_of_uncertainty#Simplification

Honestly I don't understand how to use it. That was my main issue since I did state in the first post that I did not knew how to use the formula I had been given or which values I had to use, especially since it involves uncertainties of sin and cos.
Can someone please try to explain this step by step or even with a similar example? I don't want anyone to do this for me, I just want to be able to understand properly so that I can do it myself.

xyz_a said:
Honestly I don't understand how to use it. That was my main issue since I did state in the first post that I did not knew how to use the formula I had been given or which values I had to use, especially since it involves uncertainties of sin and cos.
Can someone please try to explain this step by step or even with a similar example? I don't want anyone to do this for me, I just want to be able to understand properly so that I can do it myself.
There are lots of useful references online. Rather than rewriting it in my own words, I've looked around for an easier text than the one I linked before. Try this one: http://lectureonline.cl.msu.edu/~mmp/labs/error/e2.htm.

Related to How Do You Calculate Uncertainties in Physics Problems?

1. What is the definition of uncertainty in science?

Uncertainty in science refers to the lack of complete knowledge or understanding about a particular phenomenon or measurement. It is the range or margin of error associated with a measurement or prediction, and it can be influenced by various factors such as limitations in equipment, human error, and natural variability.

2. How do scientists measure and quantify uncertainty?

Scientists use statistical analysis and mathematical models to quantify uncertainty. This involves calculating the range of possible values within which a measurement or prediction is likely to fall, as well as determining the level of confidence or probability associated with these values.

3. What are the different types of uncertainty?

There are two main types of uncertainty: aleatory and epistemic. Aleatory uncertainty refers to inherent variability or randomness in a system, such as natural fluctuations in environmental conditions. Epistemic uncertainty, on the other hand, arises from incomplete knowledge or understanding of a system, and can be reduced through further research and data collection.

4. How do uncertainties impact scientific research and decision-making?

Uncertainties play a crucial role in scientific research and decision-making, as they can affect the accuracy and reliability of results and predictions. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and account for uncertainties in their work, and for decision-makers to consider the potential impacts of uncertainties when using scientific information to inform policies or actions.

5. Can uncertainties ever be completely eliminated?

No, uncertainties can never be completely eliminated in science. Even with advanced technology and extensive research, there will always be limitations and unknown factors that can contribute to uncertainty. However, scientists continuously strive to reduce uncertainties through improved methods and data collection, leading to more accurate and reliable results over time.