How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Ammeter Readings?

In summary: The diameter of a ball is measured using a metre rule and two set squares. The readings on the rule are 16.8 cm and 20.4 cm. Each reading has an uncertainty of ±1 mm. Calculate, for the diameter of the ball, its actual uncertainty.The diameter of the ball is 16.8 ± 1 mm.
songoku

Homework Statement

The manufacturer of a digital ammeter quotes its uncertainty as ±1.5% ±2 digits.
a. Determine the uncertainty in a constant reading of 2.64 A
b. The meter is used to measure the current from a d.c. power supply. The current is found to fluctuate randomly between 1.58 A and 2.04 A. Determine the most likely value of the current, with its uncertainty

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer of (a) is ±0.06 A and (b) is (2.01 ± 0.09) A

I am not sure what ± 2 digits means. Is it ± 0.02 ?

My attempts:
(a) uncertainty = 2.64 x 1.5 % + 0.02 = 0.0596 ≈ 0.06 A

(b)
Average = (1.58 + 2.04) / 2 = 1.81 A
Uncertainty for 1.58 A = 1.58 x 1.5% + 0.02 = 0.0437 ≈ 0.04 A
Uncertainty for 2.04 A = 2.04 x 1.5% + 0.02 = 0.0506 ≈ 0.05 A
Total uncertainty = 0.04 + 0.05 = 0.09 A

Then stuck...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have read the "digit" part as meaning that the uncertainty given has been rounded to 2 digits.
But ##\small (2.64 \pm 0.06)\text{A}## would be an uncertainty of 2.3%

Similarly, I'd have expected part b to be the mean of the measurements - with the uncertainty on the mean as the error.
I I guess a typo and that 2.04A should be 2.64A, then the mean becomes 2.11A - kinda the same sort of typo perhaps?

So you do need to check how you are expected to interpret that rating.
So I too await what others come up with.

Note: you've asked this question in lots of forums... if another forum beats us to it, please repost here.
Thanks.

Simon Bridge said:
I would have read the "digit" part as meaning that the uncertainty given has been rounded to 2 digits.
But ##\small (2.64 \pm 0.06)\text{A}## would be an uncertainty of 2.3%

Similarly, I'd have expected part b to be the mean of the measurements - with the uncertainty on the mean as the error.
I I guess a typo and that 2.04A should be 2.64A, then the mean becomes 2.11A - kinda the same sort of typo perhaps?

So you do need to check how you are expected to interpret that rating.
So I too await what others come up with.

Note: you've asked this question in lots of forums... if another forum beats us to it, please repost here.
Thanks.

Hm...yes.

0.06 / 2.64 x 100% ≈ 2.3 % not 1.5%. It is because of that ± 2 digits. If we subtract 0.02 from 0.06 then the uncertainty will be back to 1.5% but the measurement can't be written as 2.64 ± 0.06. This confuses me.

And actually it is not me posting the question in another forums. After reading your comment, I tried to google it and it surprised me this question has been asked by so many students, including here (although it had not been answered yet)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473262

Maybe I should google my question first. I depend too much on PF :-p

There is another question on my book, like this:
The diameter of a ball is measured using a metre rule and two set squares. The readings on the rule are 16.8 cm and 20.4 cm. Each reading has an uncertainty of ±1 mm. Calculate, for the diameter of the ball, its actual uncertainty.

My answer is ± 2 mm, twice the uncertainty of each reading. But the answer on the book is ±0.2 mm. Is it a typo (maybe ±0.2 cm) or I made mistake?

Thank you for your reply

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Ammeter Readings?

1. What is "Reading with Uncertainty"?

"Reading with Uncertainty" is a scientific concept that refers to the process of interpreting and understanding information or data with a level of doubt or uncertainty. It acknowledges the fact that scientific findings are not always definite and can be subject to change as new evidence or perspectives emerge.

2. Why is "Reading with Uncertainty" important in science?

In science, it is important to recognize and acknowledge uncertainty in order to make accurate and unbiased conclusions. By considering all possible explanations and acknowledging the potential for error, scientists can ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.

3. How do scientists account for uncertainty in their research?

Scientists use various methods to account for uncertainty in their research, such as conducting multiple trials or experiments, using statistical analysis, and acknowledging limitations in their data or methods. They also rely on peer review and replication to validate their findings.

4. Can uncertainty be eliminated in scientific research?

No, uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated in scientific research. However, through careful design and rigorous methods, scientists can reduce the level of uncertainty and increase the confidence in their findings.

5. How does "Reading with Uncertainty" affect the public's perception of science?

Public perception of science can be influenced by the level of uncertainty presented in scientific findings. It is important for scientists to effectively communicate the uncertainties and limitations of their research to the public in order to promote a better understanding and interpretation of scientific findings.

Back