How do you change the volume without changing the pressure Charles law

In summary, Charles' gas law states that if you increase either volume or temperature, the other will also increase.
mcfaker
Hi,

According to Charles gas law if you keep a certain constant pressure & moles of gas, you can relate the other 2 physical quantities (Volume & Temperature) in a formula: V/T=c

If you increase T, V will increase because the temperature is directly proportional to the volume. The same happens if you decrease T, V will decrease.

Now I can't understand how to start with V instead of T. How do you increase the Volume without changing the pressure ( because it must be constant) so that the temperature increases?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

You have to provide some energy to increase the temperature anyway. As both V and T change at the same time, I don't think it is meaningful to separate those processes.

Thanks, but the problem is how do we provide that energy? If I increase the Volume of a gas, it automatically decreases pressure(!). I don't want that to happen because the pressure must be the same if we want to explain this second gaslaw.
I cannot even imagine how it would be possible to increase volume wihout the decrease of pressure so that the temperature increases.

Is that even possible? Or am I making it way too difficult & should I just always start off with increasing temperature which will increase volume and not vice versa (This way pressure doesn't change)?

With the usual methods to heat a gas: Put it in a hot environment, expose it to radiation, high-energetic particles, let it do chemical or nuclear reactions or find some other way to add heat.

Ok So 1 more last question to make sure I am getting it :p
We start with raising the temperature which will raise volume. We do not start of increasing volume to increase temperature because that is impossible, right?

At least not with a regular gas, right.

Thanks for the answers :) It helped me a lot.

Related to How do you change the volume without changing the pressure Charles law

1. How does Charles law explain the relationship between volume and pressure?

Charles law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa.

2. Can the volume of a gas be changed without changing its pressure?

Yes, according to Charles law, the volume of a gas can be changed without changing its pressure as long as the absolute temperature remains constant. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature of the gas.

3. How do you change the volume without changing the pressure of a gas?

To change the volume of a gas without changing its pressure, the temperature of the gas must be adjusted. This can be done by heating or cooling the gas, which will cause its volume to increase or decrease, respectively.

4. Why is it important to understand the relationship between volume and pressure in gases?

Understanding the relationship between volume and pressure in gases is important because it helps us predict how gases will behave under different conditions. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, meteorology, and engineering.

5. How is Charles law related to the ideal gas law?

Charles law is one of the laws that make up the ideal gas law, along with Boyle's law and Avogadro's law. The ideal gas law combines these laws to describe the behavior of an ideal gas in terms of its pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles.