How Do You Compute a Lipschitz Constant for a Trigonometric Function?

In summary: Yeah, that should do it.In summary, the function f, defined as p(t)cos(y)+q(t)sin(y) on the region |t|≤100 and |y|<∞, satisfies the Lipschitz condition with a Lipschitz constant K = sup(t,y)∈Ω|df/dy(t,y)|, where Ω is the given region. This is due to the fact that p(t) and q(t) are continuous on the compact set [-100,100].
transmini
Compute a Lipschitz constant K as in (3.7) $$f(t, y_2)-f(t, y_1)=K(y_2-y_1) \space\space (3.7)$$, and then show that the function f satisfies the Lipschitz condition in the region indicated:

$$f(t, y)=p(t)\cos{y}+q(t)\sin{y},\space {(t, y) | \space |t|\leq 100, |y|<\infty}$$ where p,q are continuous functions on $$-100\leq t \leq 100$$

I honestly have no idea how to even begin this. Other than the definition on Lipschitz continuity (f and df/dy are continuous on the region given) the book being used doesn't really talk about anything Lipschitz.

And just as disclaimer, this is *technically* homework however its nothing turned in or for a grade. Just something for practice.

Any help, especially with at least getting started, is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write (3.7) as
$$
|f(t,y_2) - f(t,y_1)| \le K |y_2 - y_1|
$$
and I assume that ##K## is supposed to not depend on ##t##.

Hint: Explain and use the fact that ##\tfrac{df}{dy}## is bounded on the given region, say ##\Omega##. Argue that ##K := \sup_{(t,y) \in \Omega}{\left|\tfrac{df}{dy}(t,y)\right|}## can be taken as a Lipschitz constant.

Does this come from a text on ODEs?

##p(t),q(t)## are continuous on the compact set ##[-100,100]##, aren't they? What am I missing?

Edit: Got it. I've automatically associated a "##\leq##" with Lipschitz, not the actual equality.

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Compute a Lipschitz Constant for a Trigonometric Function?

1. What is a Lipschitz constant?

A Lipschitz constant is a mathematical term used in the field of analysis to measure the rate of change of a function. It is a value that represents the maximum amount by which a function can change (in terms of its output) for a given change in its input.

2. Why is it important to find a Lipschitz constant?

Finding a Lipschitz constant is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. It allows us to determine if a function is continuous, differentiable, and how fast it changes. It also helps in solving differential equations and optimization problems.

3. How do you find a Lipschitz constant?

There are several methods for finding a Lipschitz constant, including using the Mean Value Theorem, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, and the Taylor series expansion. In general, it involves finding the maximum slope of a function within a given interval.

4. Can every function have a Lipschitz constant?

No, not every function has a Lipschitz constant. In order for a function to have a Lipschitz constant, it must satisfy the Lipschitz condition, which states that the absolute value of the difference between the function's outputs at two points must be less than or equal to the Lipschitz constant times the distance between those points.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding a Lipschitz constant?

Finding a Lipschitz constant has many practical applications, such as in image and signal processing, machine learning, and optimization problems. It is also used in physics and engineering for analyzing the stability of systems and in economics for modeling consumer behavior.