How Do You Construct Shear and Moment Diagrams for a Frame Beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create N-, M-, V- and T- diagrams for a frame beam with a length of 1m and a force of 1200N on the top. The person encountered difficulties with the two normal forces on the bottom and was unsure if they were correctly identified as 400N and 800N. They also mentioned using Maple to create the diagrams but faced language barriers. The conversation ends with a reminder to ensure the beam is in equilibrium before constructing the diagrams and to properly determine the support reactions.
jtpijnenburg

Homework Statement

I need to create N-, M-, V- and T- diagrams for a frame beam. (see picture attached)
The beam is 1m. The force on top is 1200N.

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the shear diagram. But i was having difficulties with the two normal-forces on the bottom. Is it correct to say that the one on the left is 400N and the one on the right 800N?

I think I'm starting to understand how i can make a shear diagram with a distributed load, but it's hard when i can only try to learn from internet articles. I wanted to try and make a shear diagram with Maple.. but i don't know how, so i made it with paint. I think my first attempt is wrong because its assumed that both normal-forces are equal.

I had some difficulties trying to explain my problem in english, i hope you understand me!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jonas

Attachments

• vraag.png
    vraag.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 396
  • bvo.png
    bvo.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 398
  • bvo2.png
    bvo2.png
    997 bytes · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
Before you dive into constructing the shear and moment diagrams, make sure the beam is in equilibrium. The sketches attached to the OP and the problem description are incomplete. Is the beam simply supported? Is the beam a cantilever fixed at the right end? Are the two point loads reactions? You should write the equations of static equilibrium to properly determine the support reactions, given the support conditions.

Related to How Do You Construct Shear and Moment Diagrams for a Frame Beam?

1. What is a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and bending moments present in a structural element, such as a beam or column. It is used to analyze the stability and strength of a structure.

2. How do you construct a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram can be constructed by first calculating the internal forces and bending moments at various points along the structural element. These values are then plotted on a graph, with shear force on the y-axis and distance along the element on the x-axis. The bending moment is then plotted on a separate graph with the same axes.

3. What information can be obtained from a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram can provide information about the magnitude and location of the internal forces and bending moments at different points along the structural element. This can help determine the maximum stresses and potential failure points in the structure.

4. What are the important features of a shear and moment diagram?

The important features of a shear and moment diagram include the maximum and minimum values of shear force and bending moment, the points of zero shear and moment, and any sudden changes in values at specific points along the element.

5. How is a shear and moment diagram used in structural design?

A shear and moment diagram is an essential tool in structural design as it helps engineers determine the appropriate size and shape of structural elements to withstand the expected forces and moments. It can also be used to identify potential problem areas and make necessary design adjustments for improved stability and safety.