How Do You Convert a Vector into Cartesian Unit Vector Notation?

• Thread starter aessex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about converting a vector given in polar coordinates (r, theta) to cartesian coordinates (x,y) using unit vector notation. The process involves using basic geometry and trigonometry concepts to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the vector in cartesian form.
aessex
might be overlooking something. here is the problem.

Vector V represents a displacement of 120km at 29.0* counterclockwise from the x axis.
Write V in unit vector notation.

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simple geometry. Draw a diagram with the x and y-axis and draw your angled vector. Now what is the vector in cartesian coordinates? Do you know what the components are of an arbitrary vector in cartesian?

Interesting. You are given the unit notation in (r,theta). You want the unit notation in (x,y), I presume.

yes unit notation in (x,y). I just can't seem to find that in my notes and was wondering the best way to go about getting the notation in that form from what I am given.

I apologize if it isn't polite to give too much of a hint on PF, but here aessex: Unit notation in cartesian is given simply by [tex] v = xi + yj [/tex] where i, j are the x, y unit vectors respectively and x, y are the horizontal and vertical components. I suppose you have enough trig knowledge to figure out the x and y components given (r, theta).

FAQ: How Do You Convert a Vector into Cartesian Unit Vector Notation?

1. What is the best approach to solving a difficult physics problem?

The best approach to solving a difficult physics problem is to start by understanding the concepts and principles involved. Break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use equations and formulas that apply to those specific parts. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better visualize the problem.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific physics problem?

To determine which formula to use for a specific physics problem, start by identifying what is given and what is asked for in the problem. Then, look for equations or formulas that involve those quantities. Additionally, pay attention to any units given in the problem, as this can also help guide you towards the correct formula.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem can help you think of new ideas or approaches. You can also try discussing the problem with classmates or a teacher for additional insights and help.

4. How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

One way to check if your answer to a physics problem is correct is to use the units and dimensions of the quantities involved. Make sure that your final answer has the correct units and dimensions as the given quantities. You can also try plugging your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies all the given conditions.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve a physics problem after trying multiple approaches?

If you have tried multiple approaches and still can't solve a physics problem, it may be helpful to seek help from a teacher or tutor. They may be able to guide you towards a new approach or provide additional explanations and examples. It is also important to not get discouraged and keep practicing and learning from your mistakes.

Back