How Do You Convert Between Position/Time and Velocity/Time Graphs?

• Thread starter DjSiddiqi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, Velocity is the derivative of position, and can be found by using the definition of derivative, and looking at the graph of velocity versus time. To find displacement, use the definition of displacement, and look at the graph of displacement versus time.
DjSiddiqi
So i am in Grade 11. I have the worst teacher in the school, she cannot teach 4 ****. I need to know how to do you convert a Position/ Time graph into a Velocity/ Time graph and how do you convert a velocity/time graph into a position/time graph?

- PLz if someone could help me out with this. I would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
DjSiddiqi said:
So i am in Grade 11. I have the worst teacher in the school, she cannot teach 4 ****. I need to know how to do you convert a Position/ Time graph into a Velocity/ Time graph and how do you convert a velocity/time graph into a position/time graph?

- PLz if someone could help me out with this. I would greatly appreciate it

maybe your teacher just doesn't know how to relate the material to you.

But anyhow use the definition of velocity to help with conversion.

The gradients in a position (displacement)/time graph gives the velocity in that interval.

The area under the graph in a time interval in the velocity-time graph gives the displacement.

rock.freak667 said:
maybe your teacher just doesn't know how to relate the material to you.But anyhow use the definition of velocity to help with conversion.

The gradients in a position (displacement)/time graph gives the velocity in that interval.

The area under the graph in a time interval in the velocity-time graph gives the displacement.

bro no one in the class understands it.. n can u explain in simpler terms

Last edited:
DjSiddiqi said:
bro no one in the class understands it.. n can u explain in simpler terms

Read this http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/1DKin/u1l3a.cfm" . I can't really explain it properly without an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the definition of velocity, the graph of the velocity is the graph of the derivative function of the function giving position as a function of time (just like the graph y = 2x is the graph of the derivative function of the function f(x) = x2). You should be familiar with doing this from your first calculus class.
Likewise, position is the integral of velocity over time (otherwise known as the area under the graph of velocity as a function of time from 0 to t). Likewise, creating an approximation of this graph based on the graph of velocity versus time should be familiar from your calculus course.
If you are sketchy on the details, http://people.hofstra.edu/stefan_waner/Realworld/calctopic1/derivgraph.html may jog your memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How Do You Convert Between Position/Time and Velocity/Time Graphs?

1. How do I convert a line graph into a bar graph?

To convert a line graph into a bar graph, first make sure that the data you are representing is appropriate for a bar graph. Then, use your graphing software to change the chart type from a line graph to a bar graph. You may need to adjust the settings or formatting to get the desired appearance.

2. Can I convert a scatter plot into a pie chart?

No, it is not appropriate to convert a scatter plot into a pie chart. Scatter plots are used to show the relationship between two variables, while pie charts are used to show the distribution of a single variable. Converting a scatter plot into a pie chart would not accurately represent the data.

3. How do I convert a graph from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

To convert a graph from Celsius to Fahrenheit, you must first convert the temperature values from Celsius to Fahrenheit. This can be done by using the formula: F = (C * 9/5) + 32. Once you have converted all the temperature values, you can plot the new values on the graph.

4. Is there an easy way to convert a graph into a table?

Yes, most graphing software have a feature that allows you to easily convert a graph into a table. Look for an option to export or copy the graph data as a table. This will save you time and effort in manually creating a table from the graph.

5. Can I convert a 2D graph into a 3D graph?

Yes, it is possible to convert a 2D graph into a 3D graph. However, this may not always be the most appropriate way to represent the data. Consider if a 3D graph will add value to your data analysis and if it is the best way to visualize your data before making the conversion.