How Do You Convert Cardinal Directions to I+J Vector Form?

In summary, the homework asks for the I+J components of a vector with an angle of direction, but only provides the direction (cardinal) or angle of the vector. To solve for the I+J components, you need to use trigonometric functions.
#matt#
I have a question on an assignment that expects the I+J form of a vector but is only giving the direction(cardinal) or angle of the vector. See example below:

Homework Statement

Unit vectors and are directed east and north, respectively. Calculate the unit vector (in terms of I and J) in the following directions.

(a) northeast
(b) 47° clockwise from the -y axis
(c) southwest

All answers demand an I + J response and I'm can't exactly figure out what it wants or where to even start without a scalar.

Homework Equations

Finding the I+J components with an angle of direction can be determined by using trigonometric functions to solve for components of the resulting reference right triangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the (a) problem, I tried putting in s for scale and tried a few different pseudo type answers but was not successful. e.g. rcos(45)i + rsin(45)j

Has anyone seen problems like this particular one or have any ideas on what it's asking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct with the equation for part a with rcos(45)i+rsin(45)j defining the vector. All you need here to solve for the i and j components of the vector is r. r is the magnitude of the vector and in this case its a unit vector. Use the same approach for parts b and c.

So with it being a unit vector, r is = 1. This leaves me with the basic cos(45) & sin(45), etc... for their respective I+J values. I should be able to find the other solutions with trig functions as well.

Awesome! Thanks for giving me a push in the right direction!

You have been given that i and j are directed to the east and north. This follows the standard convention for a 2D Cartesian coordinate system in which i and j are directed along the positive x and y-axis respectively.

In this system, a unit vector with a direction alpha, measured counterclockwise from the x axis, is:

(Cos[alpha],Sin[alpha])

or in terms of i and j:

Cos[alpha] i + Sin[alpha] j

The angles (in degrees) you have been given are 135, 47, and 225

Related to How Do You Convert Cardinal Directions to I+J Vector Form?

1. What are unit vectors with no scalar?

Unit vectors with no scalar are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and do not have a direction. They are often used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations and represent directional quantities.

2. How are unit vectors with no scalar represented?

Unit vectors with no scalar are typically represented using the hat notation, where a unit vector is denoted by placing a hat symbol (^) above a vector symbol (e.g. ^v). This indicates that the vector has a magnitude of 1 and no direction.

3. What is the purpose of using unit vectors with no scalar?

The purpose of using unit vectors with no scalar is to simplify calculations and represent directional quantities without the need for a specific magnitude or direction. This makes it easier to perform vector operations and solve problems in mathematics and physics.

4. Can unit vectors with no scalar be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, unit vectors with no scalar can be used in three-dimensional space. In this case, they are represented by three components (x, y, z) and are used to represent the direction of a vector in three dimensions.

5. How are unit vectors with no scalar related to the concept of a basis?

Unit vectors with no scalar are often used as the basis vectors for a coordinate system, where they form a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in that space. This allows for the representation of vectors in terms of their components, making it easier to perform calculations and solve problems.