How Do You Convert sin^2(z) into x+iy Form?

In summary, the conversation is about changing sin^2(z) to x+iy form, with z being x+iy. The person attempted to use trig identities to solve the problem but was confused about the role of the imaginary part and the cases of sin(z) and cos(z). They also asked for help in expanding Sin(x + i y) using a trig identity.
jjangub

Homework Statement

How do I change sin^2(z) to x+iy form? (z=x+iy)
I have to put this x and y to arctan(y/x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use sin^2(z) = 1/2 -1/2(cos(2z)) or sin(z) = ((e^(iz) - e^(-iz))/2i)^2
but both ways I cannot take out i.
Or isn't the sin only takes the imagenary part? so there is no x and only y exists.
It brings us that artan(0) = 0?
I am confused about these cases like when there is sin(z) and cos(z)...
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
z is real?

How would you expand [itex] Sin(x + i y) [/itex]?
Using a trig identity.

jjangub said:

Homework Statement

How do I change sin^2(z) to x+iy form? (z=x+iy)
I have to put this x and y to arctan(y/x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use sin^2(z) = 1/2 -1/2(cos(2z)) or sin(z) = ((e^(iz) - e^(-iz))/2i)^2
but both ways I cannot take out i.
Or isn't the sin only takes the imagenary part? so there is no x and only y exists.
It brings us that artan(0) = 0?
I am confused about these cases like when there is sin(z) and cos(z)...
Thank you.

that's not how it works

FAQ: How Do You Convert sin^2(z) into x+iy Form?

1. How do I solve sin^2(z) to x+iy form?

To solve sin^2(z) to x+iy form, you can use the formula: sin^2(z) = (e^iz - e^-iz)^2 / (4i). Then, you can use the Euler's formula (e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x)) to convert it into x+iy form.

2. What is the significance of solving sin^2(z) to x+iy form?

Solving sin^2(z) to x+iy form can help in simplifying complex trigonometric equations and also in solving differential equations involving sine functions.

3. Can I solve sin^2(z) to x+iy form without using Euler's formula?

Yes, you can also use the double angle formula (sin^2(z) = 1/2 - 1/2cos(2z)) to convert sin^2(z) to x+iy form.

4. What is the difference between solving sin^2(z) to x+iy form and solving sin(z) to x+iy form?

The main difference is that sin^2(z) to x+iy form involves squaring the sine function, while sin(z) to x+iy form does not. This can lead to different solutions and approaches in solving the equation.

5. Can I use numerical methods to solve sin^2(z) to x+iy form?

Yes, you can use numerical methods such as the Newton's method or the bisection method to approximate the solutions for sin^2(z) to x+iy form.