How Do You Convert the Polar Equation r = 1 - 2cosθ to Rectangular Form?

In summary, the conversation was about a student's experience on a trigonometry exam, where they got all but one problem correct. The problem required changing from polar form to rectangular coordinate form, and the student struggled with it. They expressed frustration with their professor not providing similar practice problems and shared their incorrect answer. Another person suggested multiplying both sides of the equation by r and substituting from the conversion equations, which resulted in a different answer. The conversation ended with the question of whether the graph was a limaçon shape and the student acknowledging their mistake and expressing gratitude for the help.
RJVoss
Had a trig exam today, got all problems right except for one that seemed to stump me:

Change from polar form to rectangular coordinate form:

r = 1 - 2cosθ

I got the graph right I know that, but I couldn't figure a way to change it over. It kind of bugs me because I went through my entire book after the exam and could not find one problem which had the same format, and no questions similar to this one were on the professors exam study guide. Hate it when professors do that. :mad:

I think I got some crazy answer like (x^2+y^2)^2 = 5x^2 + y^2 or something like that. Pretty sure it is wrong though. Luckily, it was only 5pts out of 110pt test. :wink:

Thanks in advanced for the replies.

Remember:

r^2 = x^2 + y^2
x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ
tanθ = y/x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying both sides of the equation by r and substitute directly from the conversion equations. Remember, r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2).

I got an answer different than yours when I did this.

By the way, was the shape of your graph a limaçon?

meiso said:
Try multiplying both sides of the equation by r and substitute directly from the conversion equations. Remember, r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2).

I got an answer different than yours when I did this.

By the way, was the shape of your graph a limaçon?

yea you are right, limacon

Ah ok, i did get the answer wrong, but I was pretty close! I'm sure he will give me partial credit for it because I was not too far off.

Thanks

Related to How Do You Convert the Polar Equation r = 1 - 2cosθ to Rectangular Form?

1. What is a trig polar equation?

A trig polar equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or shape in polar coordinates, where the distance from the origin and the angle from a reference point are used to describe a point on the curve.

2. How do I convert a trig polar equation to rectangular form?

To convert a trig polar equation to rectangular form, you can use the following formulas:

x = r * cosθ

y = r * sinθ

Where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the reference point.

3. What is the difference between a polar equation and a rectangular equation?

A polar equation uses polar coordinates (r, θ) to describe a point on a curve, while a rectangular equation uses Cartesian coordinates (x, y).

4. How do I graph a trig polar equation?

To graph a trig polar equation, you can plot points by substituting different values for θ and then connect the points to create a curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equation.

5. Can I use trig polar equations in real-life applications?

Yes, trig polar equations have various real-life applications, such as in navigation and astronomy to describe the movement of objects in polar coordinates, or in engineering to design curves and shapes in polar coordinates.