How Do You Correctly Add and Subtract Multiple Vectors?

• Thread starter k-rod AP 2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving adding and subtracting vectors. The components of vector A are incorrect, while the components of vector D and vector B are correct. The total x and y values are calculated correctly, but some of the values are reversed. The resultant magnitude and angle are calculated correctly. The individual's procedure for adding and subtracting vectors is correct.
k-rod AP 2010

Homework Statement

vectorA: 6 @ 40o, vectorD: 2 @ 90o, vectorB: 10 @ 80o

i have to do this problem: vectorA + vector D - vectorB

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i had found the components to these vectors in previous problems to be:
vectorA: x=4.01 y=4.46 vectorD: x=0 y=2 vectorB: x=9.85 y=1.74

i added the total x and total y for all the vectors:
total x: (4.01+0+ -9.85)=-5.84 total y:(4.46+2+ -1.74)=4.72

i made the components for the vectorB negative because they were being subtracted but i am not sure if this is the proper procedure

these are the resultant calculations based off of the x and y totals
resultant magnitude: root((-5.84)^2 + (4.72)^2)= 7.51m
resultant angle: arctan(4.72/-5.84)=-38.9o

Did i follow the proper procedure to add and subtract vectors in the same problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
the procedure looks right to me... i haven't checked the calculations.

Your procedure is right, but some of your calculations are incorrect.
The components of vector A are off
The components of vector D look good
The components of vector B are reversed

Its my first year in physics so i am not the best at it but thanks for the confirmation. i thought it was right but i wasnt sure.

and zgozvrm, u were right about my numbers, i was doing the problem in a rush so i must have reversed them, my bad.

Yes, your procedure for adding and subtracting vectors is correct. To add or subtract vectors, you need to break them down into their components and then add or subtract the corresponding components. In this case, you correctly added the x and y components of the vectors and then found the magnitude and angle of the resultant vector using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function. Additionally, you correctly made the components of vector B negative when subtracting it from the other vectors. Overall, your approach is correct and your calculations are accurate.

FAQ: How Do You Correctly Add and Subtract Multiple Vectors?

What is the process for adding/subtracting 3 vectors?

The process for adding/subtracting 3 vectors involves adding/subtracting the corresponding components of each vector to find the resulting vector. For example, to add three vectors A, B, and C, you would add the first component of A, B, and C to get the first component of the resulting vector, and then repeat for the second and third components.

What is the difference between adding and subtracting vectors?

Adding vectors involves combining two or more vectors to find the resulting vector, while subtracting vectors involves finding the difference between two vectors. This can be thought of as adding the opposite of the second vector to the first vector.

How do you determine the magnitude of the resulting vector when adding/subtracting 3 vectors?

To determine the magnitude of the resulting vector when adding/subtracting 3 vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the individual components of the resulting vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum. This will give you the magnitude of the resulting vector.

What is the importance of the order in which you add/subtract vectors?

The order in which you add/subtract vectors is important because vector addition/subtraction is not commutative. This means that changing the order of the vectors being added/subtracted will result in a different resulting vector. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the order in which you add/subtract vectors to ensure an accurate result.

Can you add/subtract vectors with different dimensions?

No, vectors can only be added/subtracted if they have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of components and the components must be in the same direction. If vectors have different dimensions, they cannot be added/subtracted.

Back