How Do You Correctly Apply the Product and Quotient Rules in Differentiation?

• Thread starter DBeckett91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to differentiate two equations with respect to a variable and provide simplified answers. The first equation is y = 8sin(125t)e^-7t and the second equation is s = (8x^2-7x +125)/8x+7. The rule used in differentiating these equations is u(dv/dx) + v(du/dx) and (v(du/dx) - u(dv/dx)/v^2) respectively. The conversation also mentions an error in the writing of the equations and suggests using the correct product rule.
DBeckett91
I have 2 separate equations that I have to finish, but my lecturer is extremely slow at marking and I need to get it marked off asap, so if you could give me a hand it would be hugely appreciated.

For all of these equations I need to differentiate with respect to the variable and give the final simplified answers.

Equation 1: y = 8sin(125t)e^-7t
The value of t is unknown

The rule I was using is u(dv/dx) + v(du/dx)

y=8sin(125t)e^-7t

u = 8sin(125t)
v = e^-7t

Answer = 8sin(125t) (7e^-7t/dx) + 7e^-7t(8sin(125t)/dx)

Equation 2: s = (8x^2-7x +125)/8x+7

The rule I used was (v(du/dx) - u(dv/dx)/v^2)

s = (8x^2-7x +125)/8x+7

u = 8x^2-7x +125
= 16x - 7

v = 8x + 7
= 8

ds/dx = (8(16x-7/dx) - 16x-7(8/dx))/64

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you're differentiating right? Then you're writing is wrong, you should write:

[tex]
\frac{du}{dt}=8\times 125\cos (125t),\quad\frac{dv}{dt}=-7e^{-7t}
[/tex]

So the product rule you should be using is d(uv)/dt=vdu/dt+udv/dt, there are no x's around. That is where you made your error.

FAQ: How Do You Correctly Apply the Product and Quotient Rules in Differentiation?

1. What is the importance of checking answers?

Checking answers is important because it helps ensure accuracy and correctness in any given task or problem. It also allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes or errors that may have occurred.

2. What is the best way to check answers?

The best way to check answers is to carefully review and compare them to the given instructions or solutions. It is also helpful to use different methods, such as working backwards or using a calculator, to verify the results.

3. How do I avoid making mistakes when checking answers?

To avoid making mistakes when checking answers, it is important to take your time and double check each step of the process. It is also helpful to have someone else review your work for any potential errors.

4. What should I do if I find a mistake when checking answers?

If you find a mistake when checking your answers, it is important to carefully review the problem and identify where the mistake occurred. Once identified, correct the mistake and re-check your answer to ensure it is now correct.

5. Is it necessary to check answers when working on assignments or exams?

Yes, it is necessary to check answers when working on assignments or exams. This will help ensure that you receive the best possible grade and also help identify any areas where you may need to improve or study further.