How Do You Derive the General Formula for Given Recursive Sequences?

In summary: GhlIGZpcnN0IHRlcm1zIGFyZSBhbmQgbGF0ZSB0aGV5IHRoZSBnZW5lcmFsIGZvbGxvd2luZyBhbmQgaXRzIGZpcnN0IHRlcm0uIEFzIHlvdSBzdGFjayBpbiB0d28gYW5kIG1vcmUgYXJlIGEgY2x1ZSBvZiB0aGUgZm9ybWF0YSBidXQgaXQgaGF2ZSB2YWx1ZSBhIGNsdW
lohengrin
Hi guys, I'm doing some exercises in which given a recursive sequence and its first term, I have to find the general formula/term. I am stuck in two and I would like some help. Thanks in advance. Now, the sequences:

1) a1=1, an+1= an + ((-1)^(n+1))n^2

So, the first terms are: a2=2, a3=-2, a4=7, a5=-9, a6=16

Maybe you find it easy, I've been trying really hard to come up with the formula but I haven't got a clue.

2) a1=1, an+1= an + n^3

So, the first ones are: a2=2, a3=10, a4=37, a5=101

And again, no idea.

I suck at this, sorry to bother you but I would really appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
lohengrin said:
Hi guys, I'm doing some exercises in which given a recursive sequence and its first term, I have to find the general formula/term. I am stuck in two and I would like some help. Thanks in advance. Now, the sequences:

1) a1=1, an+1= an + ((-1)^(n+1))n^2

So, the first terms are: a2=2, a3=-2, a4=7, a5=-9, a6=16

Maybe you find it easy, I've been trying really hard to come up with the formula but I haven't got a clue.

2) a1=1, an+1= an + n^3

So, the first ones are: a2=2, a3=10, a4=37, a5=101

And again, no idea.

I suck at this, sorry to bother you but I would really appreciate your help.

Use brackets. What you *wrote* says [itex]a_n + 1 = a_n + (-1)^{n+1} n^2,[/itex] but I am guessing meant [itex] a_{n+1} = a_n + (-1)^{n+1} n^2.[/itex] To do this in plain text, just say a_{n+1} or a_(n+1) instead of an+1, etc. Alternatively, you can use the "X2" button on the menu bar above the input panel; that would give an+1.

Hint for 1): look at d_n = a_{n+1} - a_n = (-1)^(n+1) n^2 and note that
a_n - a_1 = d_{n-1} + d_{n-2} + ... + d_1.

RGV

Related to How Do You Derive the General Formula for Given Recursive Sequences?

1. What is a general formula of sequences?

A general formula of sequences is an equation or expression that describes the pattern or rule followed by a sequence of numbers. It allows us to find any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms.

2. How do you find the general formula of a sequence?

To find the general formula of a sequence, you need to observe the pattern in the sequence and identify the rule that generates the sequence. This can be done by looking at the differences between consecutive terms, or by finding a common ratio or common difference between terms.

3. Why is it important to know the general formula of a sequence?

Knowing the general formula of a sequence allows us to predict and generate any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as predicting future values in a data set or modeling natural phenomena.

4. Can the general formula of a sequence be used for any type of sequence?

No, the general formula of a sequence can only be used for sequences that follow a specific pattern or rule. Some sequences, such as random or chaotic sequences, do not have a general formula and cannot be predicted using a mathematical equation.

5. Are there different types of general formulas for sequences?

Yes, there are different types of general formulas for sequences, depending on the pattern or rule followed by the sequence. Some common types include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and quadratic sequences.