How Do You Derive the Green's Function for a Specific Boundary Value Problem?

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the Green's function for the given boundary value problem -y''(x) = f(x), 0 < x < 1, y'(0) = a, y(1) = b can be obtained by solving the homogeneous equation and imposing the boundary conditions. The general solution can be expressed as a combination of the two solutions to the homogeneous equation, and the Green's function can be found by considering a specific integral. This Green's function can then be used to express the solution for any given data.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Obtain the Green's function for BVP (and use it to express the solution for the given data):

-y''(x) = f(x), 0 < x < 1, y'(0) = a, y(1) = b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found 2 solutions to the homogeneous equation
y1(x) = ax, satisfies y'(0) = a
y2(x) = x - 1 + b, satisfies y(1) = b

Then I need to consider a general solution y(x) = c1(x)y1(x) + c2(x)y2(x)
So y' = c1y1' + c2y2' (imposing c1'y1 + c2'y2 = 0)
y'' = c1y1'' + c2y2'' + c1'y1' + c2'y2'

So to satisfy the boundary conditions I need
a = ac1(0) + c2(0)
b = ac1(1) + bc2(a)

I am not sure how to impose these into the integrals for c1 and c2 (as I would in the case when I have something like y(a) = 0 = y(b)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. To obtain the Green's function for the given boundary value problem, we first need to solve the homogeneous equation -y''(x) = 0. This gives us the solutions y1(x) = ax and y2(x) = x - 1 + b.

Next, we need to consider a general solution y(x) = c1(x)y1(x) + c2(x)y2(x). To satisfy the boundary conditions, we impose the conditions y'(0) = a and y(1) = b. This gives us the following equations:

a = ac1(0) + c2(0)
b = ac1(1) + bc2(1)

We can solve these equations for c1 and c2 by considering the following integrals:

c1(x) = 1/(y1'(x)y2(x) - y1(x)y2'(x)) * (b - y2(x))
c2(x) = 1/(y1'(x)y2(x) - y1(x)y2'(x)) * (y1(x) - a)

This gives us the general solution:

y(x) = [b - y2(x)]/(y1'(x)y2(x) - y1(x)y2'(x)) * y1(x) + [y1(x) - a]/(y1'(x)y2(x) - y1(x)y2'(x)) * y2(x)

To obtain the Green's function, we need to consider the following integral:

G(x,ξ) = [y1(ξ)y2(x) - y1(x)y2(ξ)]/(y1'(ξ)y2(x) - y1(x)y2'(ξ))

This gives us the Green's function for the given boundary value problem. We can use this Green's function to express the solution for any given data. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: How Do You Derive the Green's Function for a Specific Boundary Value Problem?

What is a Green's function for BVP?

A Green's function for BVP (Boundary Value Problem) is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations with boundary conditions. It is a function that satisfies a given differential equation with specified boundary conditions.

What is the purpose of Green's function for BVP?

The purpose of Green's function for BVP is to simplify the process of solving differential equations with boundary conditions. It allows us to break down a complex equation into simpler parts, making it easier to find a solution.

How is Green's function for BVP calculated?

Green's function for BVP is calculated by first finding the homogeneous solution of the differential equation with the given boundary conditions. Then, the Green's function is found by taking the inverse Laplace transform of the homogeneous solution.

What are the properties of Green's function for BVP?

The properties of Green's function for BVP include linearity, symmetry, and translation invariance. Linearity means that the Green's function can be multiplied by a constant without affecting its properties. Symmetry means that the Green's function is symmetric with respect to the boundary conditions. Translation invariance means that the Green's function remains the same when the boundary conditions are shifted.

What are the applications of Green's function for BVP?

Green's function for BVP has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving diffusion, heat conduction, and wave propagation. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.