How Do You Design a Chain and Sprocket System for a 25mph Scooter?

In summary, the task is to design a chain and sprocket system for a scooter that can travel at 25mph at a rated engine speed of 3600rpm. The engine has a horsepower of 5 and the rear drive wheel/tire is 16 inches in diameter with a 16 tooth sprocket gear. There must also be an intermediate gear and sprocket between the engine and the back tire. The back tire speed is 525 rpm and the engine speed is 26.77 mph. However, the equation to find details about the middle sprocket is still unclear and further assistance is needed.
gongsta

Homework Statement

You would like to build a little scooter using an engine. The rear drive wheel/tire that you have is 16 inches in total diameter. You also have a 16 tooth sprocket gear (approx. 2.5 inches in diameter) that will fit on the engine crankshaft. Design a chain and sproeckt system that will allow your scooter to travel at 25mph at rated engine speed.
engine horsepower: 5
engine speed: 3600rpm
note: there must be an intermediate gear and sprocket between the engine(and sprocket) and the back tire, also my professor confirmed that the sprocket on the back tire does not have 109 teeth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

back tire speed: 525 rpm
engine speed: 26.77 mph
I can seem to find no matter what equation I use to find any details about the middle sprocket.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what equation to use to solve this or if I am missing something. Can anyone help me out?

Related to How Do You Design a Chain and Sprocket System for a 25mph Scooter?

1. How do you determine the appropriate size for a sprocket system?

The size of a sprocket system is determined by several factors, including the application, load requirements, and speed. Typically, the pitch diameter of the sprocket should be at least three times the chain pitch to ensure proper engagement and reduce wear.

2. What materials are commonly used for sprockets?

Sprockets are typically made from steel, stainless steel, or plastic. These materials offer strength, durability, and resistance to wear and corrosion. The material chosen will depend on the specific application and its requirements.

3. How do you calculate the number of teeth needed for a sprocket system?

The number of teeth on a sprocket is determined by the desired gear ratio and the number of teeth on the mating sprocket or gear. The formula for calculating the gear ratio is: Number of Teeth on Driven Sprocket / Number of Teeth on Driving Sprocket = Gear Ratio.

4. What is the best way to ensure proper alignment of the sprocket system?

Proper alignment is essential for the smooth operation and longevity of the sprocket system. The best way to ensure proper alignment is to use precision alignment tools, such as laser alignment systems, during installation. Regular maintenance checks should also be performed to ensure continued alignment.

5. Can a sprocket system be customized for a specific application?

Yes, sprocket systems can be customized to meet the specific needs of an application. This can include modifications to the size, shape, or material of the sprockets, as well as adding features such as keyways or set screws. It is important to work with a qualified engineer to ensure the customized sprocket system meets all necessary requirements.