How Do You Determine Reactions at a Fixed Support in Statics?

In summary: The next step, they suddenly have all three component of C figured out. How?In summary, the cable AB has a tension of 800 lbs and the fixed support C has reactions of -500 lbs, 0 lbs, and 500 lbs.
javaistheman
I'm currently reviewing for a final tomorrow, I need to score a B on the final to stay in school. I'm beginning to panic as I've reviewed all day and have gotten nowhere.

1. Homework Statement

statics2_zpsb89cptrj.png

The tension in the cable AB is 800 lb. Determine the reactions at the fixed support C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm basically trying to get a fundamental grasp of these problems and just can't seem to do it. I just need to know the logic behind each step. I have a solution key that is lacking the steps, and the steps are what I need.

Firstly, they write out the equation: 800*[(2i-4j-k)/sqrt21]. I'm assuming that these position numbers came from the difference in distance of B from A. But why is it being divided by the square root of 21? And what piece of information does this equation actually give you?

Next they write out rCA = 4i + 5k. I assume here they are getting the distance component of the CA beam.

The next step, they suddenly have all three component of C figured out. How?

Then in the final step, they have the moment figured out for each component of C. Now, I know to get to here from the previous step you'd multiply the magnitudes of the components by the perpendicular distance. Would it be the perpendicular distance from C to A? I assume this because the force is coming out of point A.

If anybody could give me clarity on these things, I'd be grateful. I don't know where else to turn.

Physics news on Phys.org
javaistheman said:
I'm currently reviewing for a final tomorrow, I need to score a B on the final to stay in school. I'm beginning to panic as I've reviewed all day and have gotten nowhere.

1. Homework Statement

statics2_zpsb89cptrj.png

The tension in the cable AB is 800 lb. Determine the reactions at the fixed support C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm basically trying to get a fundamental grasp of these problems and just can't seem to do it. I just need to know the logic behind each step. I have a solution key that is lacking the steps, and the steps are what I need.

Firstly, they write out the equation: 800*[(2i-4j-k)/sqrt21]. I'm assuming that these position numbers came from the difference in distance of B from A. But why is it being divided by the square root of 21? And what piece of information does this equation actually give you?

√21 = length of the vector (2i - 4j - k). You divide the components of this vector to convert it to a unit vector, which is then scaled by the magnitude of the force (800 lbs.) to turn it into a force vector.

Next they write out rCA = 4i + 5k. I assume here they are getting the distance component of the CA beam.

rCA = 4i + 5k is actually the vector drawn from point C to point A. It's the moment arm for the force vector applied a point C

The next step, they suddenly have all three component of C figured out. How?

What components are you talking about here? The reaction at C?

Then in the final step, they have the moment figured out for each component of C. Now, I know to get to here from the previous step you'd multiply the magnitudes of the components by the perpendicular distance. Would it be the perpendicular distance from C to A? I assume this because the force is coming out of point A.

If anybody could give me clarity on these things, I'd be grateful. I don't know where else to turn.

It's not clear what calculations have been done because you don't provide them.

Since the beam CA is in static equilibrium, ΣF = 0 and the ΣM = 0. The only moment applied to the beam is due to the force vector at point C, and M = rCA × F,

where × denotes the cross product of the two vectors, rCA and F.

Because C is fixed, there will be a force and a moment produced here as reactions due to the force applied at A.

Good Luck!

javaistheman said:
write out the equation: 800*[(2i-4j-k)/sqrt21]
It's an expression, not an equation.
As you observe, the vector (2i-4j-k) is the relative position of B from A. How long is that vector?
javaistheman said:
write out rCA = 4i + 5k. I assume here they are getting the distance component of the CA beam.
It's the relative position vector from C to A. Distances are scalars.
javaistheman said:
The next step, they suddenly have all three component of C figured out.
Not sure what you mean by 'C' there. The components of C as a position are (0, 4, 0). Do you mean the torque vector about C of the tension in the rope?
If you have a vector representing the position of A relative to C, and a vector representing a force through A, what would you do to find the torque the force exerts about C?

haruspex said:
It's an expression, not an equation.
As you observe, the vector (2i-4j-k) is the relative position of B from A. How long is that vector?

It's the relative position vector from C to A. Distances are scalars.

Not sure what you mean by 'C' there. The components of C as a position are (0, 4, 0). Do you mean the torque vector about C of the tension in the rope?
If you have a vector representing the position of A relative to C, and a vector representing a force through A, what would you do to find the torque the force exerts about C?

Alright so I now see that the 21 came from squaring each of the 3 units vectors and adding them.

When I was talking about the components of C, I meant Cx, Cy, and Cz. Which I guess is the force at point C in each direction. So basically they multiplied the 800 lb force by the scalars to get each component. Then I now see that they used the rCA numbers and did a dot product with the C components to find the moments.

But what is the logic behind finding the difference in distance for B? I understand the steps now but I'd like to know the actual reasoning and theory behind them.

Last edited:
javaistheman said:
they ... did a dot product with the C components to find the moments.
I hope they did not.
javaistheman said:
is the expression with 800 being multiplied by the difference in distance giving you the force at point A?
You're not including the sqrt(21) divisor in that. If you divide a vector by its magnitude, what is the result usually called?

haruspex said:
I hope they did not.

Really? I thought it went like this:

I divided out those scalars to get this: 0.436i - 0.873j - 0.218k.
Then I multiplied each of those by 800 to get the components of C: Cx= 348.8, Cy= 698.4, Cz= 174.4
Then I used the dot product formula to find the moments: Since rCA = 4i+5k, Mcx for example would be = RyFz - RzFy = (0)(174.4) - (5)(698.4) = -3490 ft*lb.

That's not the right process?

javaistheman said:
Really? I thought it went like this:

I divided out those scalars to get this: 0.436i - 0.873j - 0.218k.
Then I multiplied each of those by 800 to get the components of C: Cx= 348.8, Cy= 698.4, Cz= 174.4
Then I used the dot product formula to find the moments: Since rCA = 4i+5k, Mcx for example would be = RyFz - RzFy = (0)(174.4) - (5)(698.4) = -3490 ft*lb.

That's not the right process?
The right process but the wrong terminology. What you describe is a cross product.

Related to How Do You Determine Reactions at a Fixed Support in Statics?

1. What is the purpose of determining reactions in statics?

The purpose of determining reactions in statics is to understand the forces acting on a structure or body at rest. These reactions are essential in designing stable and safe structures, as well as analyzing the stability and equilibrium of existing structures.

2. How do you calculate reactions in statics?

To calculate reactions in statics, you must first draw a free body diagram of the structure or body. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown reactions. These equations include the sum of forces in the x and y direction, as well as the sum of moments about a certain point.

3. What are the different types of reactions in statics?

The different types of reactions in statics include support reactions, such as fixed, pinned, and roller supports, as well as external reactions, such as applied forces and moments. These reactions can be either vertical or horizontal, and can also be a combination of both.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of reactions in statics?

The magnitude of reactions in statics can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and geometry of the structure or body, as well as the location and direction of applied forces. The type of support and the presence of friction can also have an impact on the magnitude of reactions.

5. How do you ensure that a structure is stable based on the reactions calculated in statics?

To ensure that a structure is stable, the sum of all reactions must equal zero. This indicates that the structure is in equilibrium and will not collapse or move. Additionally, the reactions must also satisfy the equations of equilibrium, ensuring that all forces and moments are balanced.

Back