How Do You Determine Reverse Saturation Current in Diode Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reverse saturation current (IS) by determining it for each given value of VD and using Thevenin's equivalent to find VD and IS. It also mentions using nodal analysis and confirms that it is okay to leave out the "-1" in the equation.
chebyshevF

Homework Statement

2aj3zte.jpg

Homework Equations

23lgpj9.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Just want to know whether I have the right idea: so to determine the reverse saturation current (IS), I just determine it for each value of VD that was given? So finding IS for 0.6, 0.65, 0.7 etc?

The question seems to be divided into two parts, one that just asks for the reverse saturation current, and then to sketch a graph for points VD=0.6, 0.65 etc. But it's not as if we're already given an initial VD value to determine the reverse saturation current, so I'm guessing you just find it for the various values given?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
- Replace the voltage source and resistors with a Thevenins equivalent.
- From the load line : Id = 6 - Vd (I in mA) you can find Vd.
- Sub the now known values of Vd and Id into Id = Is e^(Vd/0.0375) to find Is.

Note: Id and Is both mA in that equation. And yes it's ok to leave out the "-1".

Last edited:
Actually I already figured it out using nodal analysis, but thanks anyway. And I just tried using Thevenin's theorem, and it worked out too :)

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Determine Reverse Saturation Current in Diode Circuits?

1. What is a diode circuit?

A diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a diode, a semiconductor device with two terminals, to control the flow of electric current. It allows current to flow in only one direction, blocking it in the opposite direction. This makes diode circuits useful for rectifying, regulating, and switching electrical signals.

2. What are the components of a diode circuit?

The main components of a diode circuit include a diode, a power source, and load. The diode is the main component responsible for controlling the current flow, while the power source provides the energy for the circuit to function. The load is the component that consumes the energy, such as a light bulb or a motor.

3. How does a diode circuit work?

A diode circuit works by utilizing the properties of a diode. When the voltage across the diode is positive, it allows current to flow through it. However, when the voltage is negative, it acts as a barrier and stops current from flowing. This behavior is due to the difference in the electrical conductivity of the diode's two terminals.

4. What are some common applications of diode circuits?

Diode circuits have a wide range of applications, including power supplies, voltage regulators, rectifiers, and signal modulators. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as TVs, radios, and computers to control the flow of current and protect sensitive components from damage.

5. How do I design a diode circuit?

Designing a diode circuit involves understanding the properties of diodes and their behavior in different configurations. It also requires knowledge of other circuit components and their interactions. If you are new to diode circuits, it is recommended to start with simple designs and gradually work your way up to more complex circuits.