How Do You Determine Superman's Initial Velocity in a 2D Momentum Problem?

In summary: What is going on in that first line? Why are you multiplying Superman's mass by 9.8 in a line titled X:?In which line are you applying conservation of vertical momentum?The momentum equation initial and final is the equation for calculating the momentum of an object at two different points in time.
Walter White

Homework Statement

Question is on the attachment photo.

Homework Equations

I tried to create an equation but I didn't know the momentum for each of the people in the scenario because none of them have a given speed.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need the velocity of Superman to solve the problem. How do we find the speed?[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20160918_132550.jpg
    IMG_20160918_132550.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Walter White said:
I didn't know the momentum for each of the people
How far will Lois have fallen when she is caught?

haruspex said:
How far will Lois have fallen when she is caught?
It has to be the difference between the 2 heights. 13.2 - 6.8.

Walter White said:
It has to be the difference between the 2 heights. 13.2 - 6.8.
So what is Lois' velocity when they meet?

I don't know, I need time to figure that out

Walter White said:
I don't know, I need time to figure that out
When you say you need time, do you mean you think you need to know how much time elapsed, or merely that you cannot work it out immediately?

haruspex said:
So what is Lois' velocity when they meet?
Like I need the time to figure out the velocity from the formula d/t

haruspex said:
When you say you need time, do you mean you think you need to know how much time elapsed, or merely that you cannot work it out immediately?
Yes how much time was elapsed because there's no mention of time in the problem

Walter White said:
Like I need the time to figure out the velocity from the formula d/t
For motion under constant acceleration, there are five standard variables (usually known as SUVAT, s for displacement, u for initial speed, v for final speed, a for acceleration, t for time). There are correspondingly five equations. Each equation omits one of the five variables. Are you familiar with these?

Actually no, sorry I haven't learned these

Oh wait, Lois is falling with gravity, so we know acceleration. Now I can figure out time

I'll try to figure it out and get back to you thanks

Walter White said:
Oh wait, Lois is falling with gravity, so we know acceleration. Now I can figure out time
Right. I suggest you Google SUVAT. Plenty of references. Or, in this case, you can use work conservation.

Oh, and you do not need to find the time. You can get the speed directly.

Oh alright. Thanks

Hi, I got 16.1 m/s for Lois velocity. How do I find superman's initial velocity?

Walter White said:
Hi, I got 16.1 m/s for Lois velocity. How do I find superman's initial velocity?
Stick with vertical motion for now. You know the vertical speed of each just before they meet. Can you find their vertical speed just afterwards?

Yes I will try

Hi again. I tried my best to solve it but I'm not getting the right answer. Can you possibly give it a shot yourself? Or just tell me another hint on how to solve it. Thanks

Walter White said:
Hi again. I tried my best to solve it but I'm not getting the right answer. Can you possibly give it a shot yourself? Or just tell me another hint on how to solve it. Thanks
Please post your working.

1474246667819.jpg

Walter White said:
First I found Louiss velocity using this formula in the above image

Then I found superman's velocity using the time for Louiss to reach down to Superman and the length of the pit
1474246781661.jpg

Then I put it into a momentum equation initial and final, solved for vx and vy and total velocity
1474247044125.jpg

Answer I got was 7.37m/s

Walter White said:
Then I put it into a momentum equation initial and final, solved for vx and vy and total velocityView attachment 106222
I cannot follow what you did there, not only because it was upside down and hard to read. (The posting of images is intended for diagrams and textbook extracts. Please take the trouble to type in your working. This makes it both easier to read and easier to make specific comments on.)
What is going on in that first line? Why are you multiplying Superman's mass by 9.8 in a line titled X:?
In which line are you applying conservation of vertical momentum?

By the way, in calculating Lois' vertical speed you had a negative value inside the square root, so you just ignored the minus sign. To be consistent with 'positive up' you should have set Lois' displacement as -6.4m. Then you would have had a positive value to square root.

9.8 is superman's velocity. I'm multiplying it by his mass because I want the momentum of Superman. The line is titled x because this is 2d momentum and we need both x and y to get final velocity of x and final velocity of y

Walter White said:
9.8 is superman's velocity
No, Superman's initial velocity is what you have to find. I see no 9.8m/s in the question statement.

FAQ: How Do You Determine Superman's Initial Velocity in a 2D Momentum Problem?

1. What is the definition of momentum in 2d physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In 2d physics, momentum has both magnitude and direction, and is a vector quantity.

2. How is momentum conserved in 2d collisions?

In 2d collisions, momentum is conserved when the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momentums in the x and y directions must be the same before and after the collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2d physics?

In elastic collisions, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In inelastic collisions, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost, resulting in the objects sticking together after the collision.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of an object in 2d space?

The momentum of an object in 2d space can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity in both the x and y directions. The resulting values can then be added together to find the total momentum.

5. Can momentum be negative in 2d physics?

Yes, momentum can be negative in 2d physics. This usually occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system, resulting in a negative value for its momentum in that direction.