How Do You Determine the Equivalence Points in a Double Titration Problem?

• Thread starter the-ever-kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the first equivalence point is when all of the carbonate has been protonated to carbonate-hydrogencarbonate. The second equivalence point occurs when only half of the carbonate has been protonated, yielding carbonate-hydrogencarbonate and carbonate-bicarbonate.
the-ever-kid
Homework Statement

There was this Question in my book:

About 40 mls of 0.1 M solution of a compound sesqui Carbonate [itex](\mathrm{Na}_{2}\mathrm{CO}_3.\mathrm{NaHCO_3}.[/itex][itex]\mathrm{2H_2O})[/itex] are titrated with [itex]x[/itex] mls of .1 M [itex]\mathrm{HCl}[/itex] in the presence of phenolphthalien.And the same compund was made to react with [itex]y[/itex] mls of the same solution of [itex]\mathrm{HCl}[/itex] in presence of methyl orange find [itex]x[/itex] & [itex]y[/itex]

The attempt at a solution

Ok what i did was apply the fact that in the presense of phenolphthalien all of the [itex]\mathrm{Na}_{2}\mathrm{CO}_3[/itex] would react and only half of the [itex]\mathrm{NaHCO_3}[/itex] would would appear to have reacted.

the if 40mls of .1 M complex was given then it would have 8 milli equivalents of [itex]\mathrm{Na}_{2}\mathrm{CO}_3[/itex] and 4 milli equivalents of [itex]\mathrm{NaHCO_3}[/itex]

as equivalents of [itex]\mathrm{HCl}[/itex] and the sum of equivalents [itex]\mathrm{Na}_{2}\mathrm{CO}_3[/itex] [itex]\mathrm{NaHCO_3}[/itex] is equal thus,

[itex]8 + 2 = .1x[/itex] thus x was 100mls

now for the second part i applied that all of the carbonates would show complete reaction in presence of methyl orange as it was acidic so :

[itex]8+4=.1y[/itex]

thus y was 120 mls

My problem
my problem is that the second part is right but the first is wrong(it is 40 mls), when i asked my teacher she said that only half of sodium carbonate would react and none of the sodium bicarb would react ,how?

im comfused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Write reactions taking place. What is the first step of the carbonate protonation?

carbonate protonation...hmmm... [itex]\mathrm{CO_3^{-2}} + \mathrm{H^+} \rightleftharpoons \mathrm{HCO_3^-}[/itex]

and bicarb protonation is [itex]\mathrm{HCO_3^-}~+~\mathrm{H^+}~\rightleftharpoons~\mathrm{H_2CO_3}[/itex]

OK.

When does the bicarbonate protonation start? Is it protonated together with carbonate, or after all carbonate got protonated to HCO3-?

after all the carbonate gets protonated...

Good. If so, is this:

the-ever-kid said:
in the presense of phenolphthalien all of the [itex]\mathrm{Na}_{2}\mathrm{CO}_3[/itex] would react and only half of the [itex]\mathrm{NaHCO_3}[/itex] would would appear to have reacted.

correct?

yes...

No, it is not. Phenolphthalein changes color after carbonate was protonated to hydrogencarbonate. Earlier presence of hydrogencarbonate doesn't matter at all.

but my teacher said that only half of the carbonate protonation would be detected.

and yes none of the bicarb ...*sorry for earlier on*

the-ever-kid said:
but my teacher said that only half of the carbonate protonation would be detected.

That's correct. "Half of the carbonate protonation" and "half of the bicarobonate protonation" are two completely different things. First makes sense (half of the carbonate protonation is protonation yielding hydrogencarbonate), second doesn't (you can't protonate hydrogencarbonate half way - that is, you can protonate half of the amount, but you will not get an equivalence point this way).

why is only half of the carbonate protonated why not a third or a fourth or two thirds?

No "half of the carbonate protonated" but "half of the carbonate protonation" - when all carbonate is converted to hydrogecarbonate. That's half of the possible protonation of carbonate, as its protonation is a two step process, and each stage ends at a very different pH (well separated equivalence points).

Hydrogencarbonate can be protonated only once, so there is only one equivalence point.

you mean to say that only half of the carbonate protonation is detected?

Yes.

Edit: see titration curve of the carbonate titrated with hydrochloric acid:

carbonate_titrated_with_hydrochloric_acid.png

There are two distinct equivalence points, and with a correct choice of indicators you can detect each one separately.

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Determine the Equivalence Points in a Double Titration Problem?

1. What is a double titration problem?

A double titration problem is a type of analytical chemistry problem that involves determining the concentration of an unknown solution by performing two separate titrations with known solutions.

2. How does a double titration differ from a single titration?

In a single titration, only one known solution is used to determine the concentration of the unknown solution. In a double titration, two known solutions are used, and the results from both titrations are used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

3. What are the common indicators used in a double titration?

The common indicators used in a double titration are phenolphthalein and methyl orange. Phenolphthalein is used for detecting the endpoint of the first titration, while methyl orange is used for detecting the endpoint of the second titration.

4. What are the sources of error in a double titration?

The sources of error in a double titration include incorrect measurements of the volume of solutions, contamination of solutions, and improper use of indicators. Other sources of error may include human error in reading the burette or indicator colors, or incomplete reactions between solutions.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my double titration results?

To improve the accuracy of double titration results, it is important to use precise and accurate measuring tools, properly calibrate the burettes, and carefully follow the titration procedure. It is also recommended to perform multiple trials and take the average of the results to minimize any potential errors.