How Do You Determine the Exact Phase Difference in Single Slit Diffraction?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the phase difference between two waves that are either in phase or out of phase. The problem requires finding the path length difference and translating it into a phase difference. It is revealed that the phase difference increases by 2π every time the path length difference increases by a wavelength. The correct answer is option C.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta L = asin\theta = m \lambda[/tex]

If the waves are in phase, we would expect L to me a integer number of wavelengths, when they are out of phase, L should be an odd number of wavelengths, but when I compute,

[tex]\frac{\Delta L}{\lambda}[/tex]

I get neither an integer nor an odd number. This tells us that the waves must be somewhere inbetween being completely in phase or completely out of phase, but how do I find the exact result?

Attachments

• 2010Q15.JPG
    2010Q15.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem doesn't say the point on the screen corresponds to a maximum or minimum, so there's no reason to expect the two waves to be out of phase by a multiple of half a wavelength.

The problem is asking you to find the phase difference between the two waves. What causes the waves to arrive with different phases?

vela said:
The problem doesn't say the point on the screen corresponds to a maximum or minimum, so there's no reason to expect the two waves to be out of phase by a multiple of half a wavelength.

The problem is asking you to find the phase difference between the two waves. What causes the waves to arrive with different phases?

The path length difference, isn't it?

Yup, so what you want to do is find the path length difference and translate that into a phase difference.

vela said:
Yup, so what you want to do is find the path length difference and translate that into a phase difference.

Okay, well I showed in my first post that I know how to get the path length difference, so how do I make the translation into a phase difference?

Oh, sorry, I didn't get what you getting at in your first post.

Every time the path length difference increased by wavelength λ, the phase difference increases by 2π.

vela said:
Oh, sorry, I didn't get what you getting at in your first post.

Every time the path length difference increased by wavelength λ, the phase difference increases by 2π.

Ahhhh! That's the key I was missing, so the answer is C correct?

That's what I get.

Related to How Do You Determine the Exact Phase Difference in Single Slit Diffraction?

What is a single slit?

A single slit is a thin, narrow opening that allows light to pass through it. It is commonly used in experiments to study the behavior of light.

What is phase difference?

Phase difference is the difference in the phase of two waves. In the context of a single slit, it refers to the difference in the phase of the waves passing through the top and bottom parts of the slit.

How does a single slit affect the phase difference of waves passing through it?

When light passes through a single slit, it diffracts, or spreads out, causing a phase difference between the waves that pass through different parts of the slit. This results in an interference pattern when the waves overlap.

What factors affect the phase difference in a single slit experiment?

The phase difference in a single slit experiment is affected by the wavelength of the light, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the interference pattern is observed.

What is the significance of studying single slit and phase difference?

Studying single slit and phase difference allows us to better understand the behavior of light and how it interacts with different materials. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.