How Do You Determine the Period of a Graph with Unequal Maximums and Minimums?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximums and minimums. The speaker suggests looking at the waves of the graph to determine the period, but also asks if there is a way to determine the period without using graphing software. The conversation ends with the speaker realizing that the question was already answered in their book.
priceofcarrot

Homework Statement

So my book has a bunch of examples of graphs similar to sine or cosine graphs, where the maximums and minimums are the same (for example, the maximums might be 1, and the minimums will be -1). If I only have a graph to work with, I will just look at the waves and determine the period from that. But how do I determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximum and minimums? For example, all the maximums may be 7, but all the minimums will be 2. How do I determine the period of a graph like this, if I only have the graph to work with? Do I just move the graph so that its center is at the x axis? Is there anyway to determine the period of a graph like this without using graphing software to reposition the graph to the x axis? If I have to redraw it it could be difficult.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

priceofcarrot said:

Homework Statement

So my book has a bunch of examples of graphs similar to sine or cosine graphs, where the maximums and minimums are the same (for example, the maximums might be 1, and the minimums will be -1).

If I only have a graph to work with, I will just look at the waves and determine the period from that. But how do I determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximum and minimums? For example, all the maximums may be 7, but all the minimums will be 2. How do I determine the period of a graph like this, if I only have the graph to work with? Do I just move the graph so that its center is at the x axis? Is there anyway to determine the period of a graph like this without using graphing software to reposition the graph to the x axis? If I have to redraw it it could be difficult.

Thanks

What is the definition of the period of a periodic function?

Oh god that's embarrassing.. Lol

Sorry, I just checked my work today and can't believe that I asked this question.

Thanks

Related to How Do You Determine the Period of a Graph with Unequal Maximums and Minimums?

1. How do you identify the period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums?

The period of a graph is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. In a graph with unequal maximums and minimums, the period can be determined by finding the average distance between multiple sets of consecutive maximums or minimums.

2. Can the period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums be calculated using the same method as a graph with equal maximums and minimums?

Yes, the period can still be calculated using the same method of finding the distance between consecutive peaks or troughs. However, in a graph with unequal maximums and minimums, this distance may vary between different sets of consecutive peaks or troughs.

3. How many sets of maximums or minimums should be used to determine the period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums?

This may vary depending on the complexity of the graph. In general, it is recommended to use at least three sets of consecutive maximums or minimums to calculate the average distance and determine the period.

4. Can the period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums change over time?

Yes, the period of a graph can change over time if the underlying factors affecting the graph change. For example, if the graph represents a periodic phenomenon and the underlying conditions change, the period may also change.

5. How can the period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums be used in scientific research?

The period of a graph with unequal maximums and minimums can provide valuable insights into the underlying factors and patterns of a phenomenon. It can also be used to make predictions and analyze trends, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics.