How do you determine work done wi th just mass and distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the work done when an object is pushed a certain distance. The variables of force, mass, and displacement are given but there is not enough information to solve for the work. The correct answer is 1200 J, but it is not clear where this answer is coming from. The conversation concludes that the question may be incomplete without additional information such as acceleration or final velocity.
crushedcorn
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/Information

If a person pushes a 28 kg object 1.2 m, how much work did they just do?

Homework Equations

W=Fd
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

If W=Fd and F=ma, then W=(ma)d. The farthest I can get is W=28a*1.2=33.6a. Since the motion is horizontal, a=9.8 m/s2 wouldn't apply, so I am left with 2 variables and no answer. However, the correct answer is 1200 J. Where is this answer coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of the blue, as they say. Hello CC, and welcome to PF :smile: !

With the given information, there really is no telling. As you more or less conclude correctly.
There must be something else.

you would need atleast ##a## or final velocity. because for 1200J a= 35.7m/s², what if i choose a=1m/s². ill get a different answer.
So the question is incomplete.

Thank you and thank you! I felt like I was missing the entire concept. I feel much better :-)

FAQ: How do you determine work done wi th just mass and distance?

1. What is the formula for determining work done with just mass and distance?

The formula for determining work done with just mass and distance is W = mgh, where W is work, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (approximately 9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height or distance.

2. How do you measure the mass and distance to determine work done?

To measure the mass, you can use a scale or balance. To measure the distance, you can use a measuring tape or ruler. Once you have the values for mass and distance, you can plug them into the formula W = mgh to determine the work done.

3. Can work be negative when using just mass and distance?

Yes, work can be negative when using just mass and distance. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. In this case, the work done is considered negative because the force is doing work against the direction of motion.

4. What are the units for work when using just mass and distance?

The units for work when using just mass and distance are joules (J). This is the standard unit for measuring work in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Can you determine work done with just mass and distance in different directions?

Yes, you can determine work done with just mass and distance in different directions. However, it is important to note that the work done will be different depending on the direction of the force. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative.