How Do You Differentiate Complex Functions Like y=sin(lnx) and Others?

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the questions are very similar and involve using the chain rule. You can apply the same concept from the previous question of y=ln(sin(x)) to find y' for y=sin(lnx). Similarly, for y=10[(x)2-sinx], you can use the chain rule by setting u=x2-sinx and finding the derivatives of u and x separately. For the question of y=x3-ln(x/e), you can use logarithmic differentiation by taking the natural logarithm of both sides and then using the logarithm properties to simplify the equation.
stonecoldgen
10. y=sin(lnx) find y'

im not sure how to do this, the previews question was actually with y=ln(sinx), which i know how to do, but not this one.

I know that the derivative of lnx is 1/x and the derivative of sinx=cosx

16.y=10[(x)2-sinx] find y'

PD: that is 10 to the power of (x2-sinx)

i know i should put a ln at both sides of the equation to use logarithmic differentiation, i know the logarithm properties. However, i don't know how should i apply all of that exactly.

EDIT: i also need help finding y' in y=x3-ln(x/e)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The questions are very similar. The rule is known as the chain rule. The best way to describe is that you chain your way from the outside to the inside. If you know how to find y' for:
[itex]y = ln(sin(x))[/itex]

Then you know how to find y' for:
[itex] y = sin(ln(x))[/itex]

For the chain rule, if you have:
[itex] u = f(g(x))[/itex]
[itex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{df}{dg} \frac{dg}{dx} [/itex]

Does this help at all?

Ignea_unda said:
The questions are very similar. The rule is known as the chain rule. The best way to describe is that you chain your way from the outside to the inside. If you know how to find y' for:
[itex]y = ln(sin(x))[/itex]

Then you know how to find y' for:
[itex] y = sin(ln(x))[/itex]

For the chain rule, if you have:
[itex] u = f(g(x))[/itex]
[itex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{df}{dg} \frac{dg}{dx} [/itex]

Does this help at all?

well yeah, all of the qustions kinda looked to chain rules like me, maybe not so ''strongly'' but they did.

Thanks.

No worries. Sometimes it just takes a fresh glance to see it.

Glad I could help.

Related to How Do You Differentiate Complex Functions Like y=sin(lnx) and Others?

What exactly are derivative questions?

Derivative questions are questions that are based on or derived from a previous question or topic. They are often used to expand on a particular concept or idea, and can help provide a deeper understanding of a subject.

How are derivative questions useful in scientific research?

Derivative questions can help scientists explore a topic in more detail and uncover new information or insights. They can also help guide the direction of research and lead to further investigations.

Can derivative questions be used in any field of science?

Yes, derivative questions can be applied in any field of science as they can help clarify complex concepts and provide a deeper understanding of a subject. They are often used in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and psychology.

How can I come up with good derivative questions?

One way to come up with good derivative questions is to start with a broad topic and then break it down into smaller, more specific questions. You can also think about any unanswered questions or gaps in knowledge related to the topic and use those as a basis for derivative questions.

Are derivative questions only used in scientific research?

No, derivative questions can also be used in other fields such as education, business, and everyday life. They can help deepen understanding and spark critical thinking in any subject or situation.