How Do You Draw a Bode Plot for a Given Transfer Function?

In summary, the bode plot shows the transfer function for an open loop control system, with amplification factors for each of the system components. The first graph plots the lines for each of the amplification factors, while the lower graph sums them all. Homework equations include the attempt at a solution and the equations for the characteristic formula. WolframAlpha is used to show how the gain goes to zero when frequency goes to zero.
NascentOxygen said:
The original TF had poles at -1 and -4. Though easy to get confused here, I know. :wink:

Aurrgh! So much for short term memory. Heck, it was only three pages ago, too!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I described it, is how I learned it some time ago.

However, after gneill's and NascO's comments, I've looked it up on wiki, and I found this section on how to draw Bode plots by hand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot#Rules_for_handmade_Bode_plot
This is basically what they already said.

In the end I believe it is somewhat arbitrary, since the real transfer function plot does not consist of straight lines.
But I certainly concur that we should follow the standard methods.

Here's the graph I've made with the "actual" transfer function for ##G(s)={400 \over (s+1)(s+4)}##, my version, and NascO/gneill's version.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55077&stc=1&d=1359286223.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't really matter (my version is actually closer), but I do propose to follow NascO/gneill's suggestions.

Attachments

• Bode_in_Hebrew2.jpg
    Bode_in_Hebrew2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 504
Well, now that ILS has cleared that up... :wink:

there is no stopping yet, because as I pointed out earlier, we are only halfway there!

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Don't forget that the Bode Plot requires a plot of angle vs. frequency as well as dB vs. frequency.

BTW, I think we have left FemmePhysics some miles back along the way. Should we turn back to look for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
BTW, I think we have left FemmePhysics some miles back along the way. Should we turn back to look for her?

I'm sure that FP will track us down in due course. Probably just waiting for the dust to settle :smile:

I'm here! Except, I already had the Control Systems semester test yesterday. The sad part is that everything BUT the Bode Plot I'm sure I got right ;) But at least I didn't have to DRAW a graph, the graphs were given to me, I just had to find the function that describes it. So far I'm able to keep a 90+ average (out of a 100) with the help of physicsforums, or most specific you guys.
I had some solved examples to work with...hopefully I got it right. I might approach this thread before the final test of my degree (May-July), provided you'll still be around :)

I really appreciate your help, especially ILS that always goes above and beyond (amazing). If I didn't get the bode plots right I'll come here to whine, rest be assured!

Now I have machine parts test to take in 5 days so I better get in shape. :-) I appreciate your help, guys.