How Do You Evaluate a Double Integral with Mixed Powers of x and y?

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a double integral and finding a link for understanding the concept. The integral is evaluated by considering the 'inside integral' first and treating the y as a constant. The given region is [0,2]x[0,5], indicating the limits of integration for x and y. The conversation also includes a discussion of a mistake in evaluating a different integral.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral:

[tex]\int \int_R x^3 y^4 dx dy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. My professor just introduced us to double integrals, now there's a strike going on at my school, so classes are cancelled, and I want to get an early start.

Does anyone know a good link where they do a decent job explaining double integrals? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, you consider the 'inside integral' first. Perform the integral int(x^3y^4dx) while considering y^4 as just a constant, then you take the result of that and perform the integral with respect to y.

Last edited:
so in the 'inside integral', the y is treated as a constant?

I forgot to mention that R = [0,2]x[0,5]. What does that mean?

nvm, I got it.

Last edited:
cse63146 said:
so in the 'inside integral', the y is treated as a constant?
Yes.
cse63146 said:
I forgot to mention that R = [0,2]x[0,5]. What does that mean?
It means that x is integrated from 0 to 2, and y is integrated from 0 to 5.

How about this one:

[tex]\int\int_R x^3 + y^3 dx dy[/tex] R = [1,2]x[-1,0]

this is what I got:

[tex]\int\int_R x^3 + y^3 dx dy =\int ( \int^2_1 x^3 + y^3 dx) dy = \int (\frac{1}{4}x^4 +xy^3)^{2}_{1} dy = \int^{0}_{-1} \frac{31}{4} + y^3 dy = (\frac{31}{4}y + \frac{1}{4}y^4)^0_{-1} = \frac{15}{2}[/tex]

but the answer in the back of the book is 7/2, does anyone see what mistake I made? Thank You

er 2^4 is not 32, it's 16~

oh... right. Thanks.

[tex]\int\int_R x^3 + y^3 dx dy =\int ( \int^2_1 x^3 + y^3 dx) dy = \int (\frac{1}{4}x^4 +xy^3)^{2}_{1} dy = \int^{0}_{-1} \frac{31}{4} + y^3 dy = (\frac{31}{4}y + \frac{1}{4}y^4)^0_{-1} = \frac{15}{2}[/tex]
I would recommend that you include all the limits of integration right from the start (so you won't forget!). Also it is a very good idea to include "x= " and "y= " so you won't confuse that:
[tex]\int\int_R x^3 + y^3 dx dy =\int_{y= -1}^0 ( \int^2_{x=1} x^3 + y^3 dx) dy = \int_{y=-1}^0 (\frac{1}{4}x^4 +xy^3)^{2}_{1} dy = \int^{0}_{y=-1} \frac{15}{4} + y^3 dy = (\frac{15}{4}y + \frac{1}{4}y^4)^0_{-1} = \frac{7}{2}[/tex]

Related to How Do You Evaluate a Double Integral with Mixed Powers of x and y?

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a two-dimensional surface, also known as a region, by integrating a function over that region. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a double integral problem different from a single integral problem?

A single integral problem involves finding the area under a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral problem involves finding the area under a two-dimensional surface. This means that a double integral problem requires two sets of limits and two integrals to be solved, while a single integral problem only requires one set of limits and one integral.

3. What are the steps to solve a double integral problem?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for both the inner integral (with respect to the inner variable) and the outer integral (with respect to the outer variable). Next, evaluate the inner integral by treating the outer variable as a constant. Then, use the result of the inner integral as the integrand for the outer integral and solve. The final step is to evaluate the outer integral to obtain the final solution.

4. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume and mass of irregularly shaped objects, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, determining the average value of a two-dimensional function, and calculating probabilities in statistics.

5. Are there any special cases of double integral problems?

Yes, there are two special cases of double integral problems: iterated integrals and double integrals over non-rectangular regions. Iterated integrals involve solving one integral first and then using the result as the limits for the second integral. Double integrals over non-rectangular regions require a change of variables to transform the region into a rectangular one before solving the integral.

Back