How Do You Find a Normal Vector to a Graph?

In summary, to find the normal vector of a function at a given point, such as f(x,y) = ax^y+yx^y^x+b at (X_o,Y_o), one method is to find the tangent vectors in the x and y directions and take the cross-product. Another method is to find the coefficients of the tangent plane, which can be thought of as a level surface for the function. This tangent plane has a normal vector of \nabla (f(x,y)-z) = f_x\vec{i}+f_y\vec{j}-\vec{k}.
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
How do you find a normal vector of a function at a point, such as f(x,y)= ax^y+yx^y^x+b at (X_o,Y_o)

where a and b are just arbitrary constants, and the function is an arbitrary function. So I guess, what is the general steps you take to find the normal? I thought it had to do with the gradient, but I'm still confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a normal to the surface defined by the function, not a normal to the function.

Off the top of my head, one way would be to find the tangent vectors to the surface in the x direction and in the y direction, and take the cross-product..

You can find the tangent plane of the graph at the point ##\left(x_{0},y_{0}\right)##. The coefficients of the tangent plane ## n_{1}x+n_{2}y+n_{3}z+c=0## are the component of the normal vector ## \vec{n}=\left(n_{1},n_{2},n_{3}\right)## of the plane that is a normal vector of ##f(x,y)## at the given point ...

Given a surface described by z= f(x, y),the surface can be thought of as a "level surface for the function [itex]\phi(x, y, z)= f(x, y)- z= 0[/itex] so [itex]\nabla (f(x,y- z)= f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] is immediately a vector normal to the surface.

Related to How Do You Find a Normal Vector to a Graph?

What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given surface or curve. In the context of a graph, a normal vector represents the direction in which the graph is steepest at a specific point.

Why is it important to find a normal vector to a graph?

Finding a normal vector to a graph is important because it allows us to determine the slope or gradient of the graph at a specific point. This can be useful in various applications such as optimization problems, physics, and engineering.

How do you find a normal vector to a graph?

To find a normal vector to a graph, you first need to find the gradient or derivative of the graph at a specific point. Then, you can use the negative reciprocal of the gradient to find the normal vector. Alternatively, you can use the cross product of two tangent vectors to the graph to find the normal vector.

What is the difference between a normal vector and a tangent vector?

A normal vector is perpendicular to a given surface or curve, while a tangent vector is parallel to the surface or curve at a specific point. In other words, a normal vector represents the direction of steepest ascent or descent, while a tangent vector represents the direction of the curve at a specific point.

Can a graph have multiple normal vectors?

Yes, a graph can have multiple normal vectors at different points. This is because the direction of the normal vector depends on the slope of the graph at a specific point. Therefore, as the slope changes, the normal vector will also change.