How do you find linear density given mass per kg?

In summary: Once you have the graph, you can use it to find the impact speed of the candle's flame once it hits the table.
andkand97

Homework Statement

I need to find the final impact speed of the flame of a non-uniform candle. I am given that the mass per unit length increases linearly from top to bottom starting with 1kg/m at the bottom and 10kg/m at the top. I need to find how fast the candle flame is moving once the candle hits the table. I also know the length of the candle, 2m

Homework Equations

Xcm=1/M∫xdm
m=Lλ
dm=dxλ
I=∫x2dm

The Attempt at a Solution

If dm=dLλ then I have to find lamba ( which I'm unsure of how to do) then integrate from 0 to L to find the total mass. Then from there I can find the center of mass then rotational inertia and use energy to find the final velocity. Can someone tell me if I am thinking correctly and also help me find the total mass? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
andkand97 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the final impact speed of the flame of a non-uniform candle. I am given that the mass per unit length increases linearly from top to bottom starting with 1kg/m at the bottom and 10kg/m at the top. I need to find how fast the candle flame is moving once the candle hits the table. I also know the length of the candle, 2m

Homework Equations

Xcm=1/M∫xdm
m=Lλ
dm=dxλ
I=∫x2dm

If dm=dLλ then I have to find lamba ( which I'm unsure of how to do) then integrate from 0 to L to find the total mass. Then from there I can find the center of mass then rotational inertia and use energy to find the final velocity. Can someone tell me if I am thinking correctly and also help me find the total mass? Thanks in advance.
Well, a sketch of the value of density per unit length versus position would be helpful here.

Since you are given no other information besides the values of density at the top and bottom of the candle, along with the length of the candle, assume that there is a linear variation in the density of the candle per unit length.

andkand97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Xcm=1/M∫xdm
m=Lλ
dm=dxλ
I=∫x2dm

Sorry, but your question makes no sense (at least not to me). Is there a figure or something that goes with this problem?

berkeman said:
Sorry, but your question makes no sense (at least not to me). Is there a figure or something that goes with this problem?
Oh sorry. I am told that the candle will fall and hit the table.I'm given a drawing of a candle but nothing else. I know that the mass per unit length increases from 1kg/m at the bottom to 10kg/m at the top. I need to find the impact speed of the candle's flame once the candle hits the table.Maybe this helps you understand the question better. Sorry about that.

SteamKing said:
Well, a sketch of the value of density per unit length versus position would be helpful here.

Since you are given no other information besides the values of density at the top and bottom of the candle, along with the length of the candle, assume that there is a linear variation in the density of the candle per unit length.
Could you explain a little more, please?

andkand97 said:
Could you explain a little more, please?
Did you draw the picture yet?

Do you mean something like this? (But lighter at the bottom than the top)

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 418
SteamKing said:
Did you draw the picture yet?

andkand97 said:
Do you mean something like this? (But lighter at the bottom than the top)
No, I mean draw a graph which plots the value of the density of the candle along its length.

You know the length of the candle (2 meters; rather large, actually), and you know the density in mass per unit length at the top and bottom of the candle (10 kg/m and 1 kg/m, respectively).

In other words, make a graph of this information.

If you consider thin slices at the top and bottom I think you can work out the ratio of the cross sectional area/radius. I don't know for sure but I suspect things like the height of the centre of mass or moment of inertia will turn out to be proportional to the same ratio.

andkand97 said:
If dm=dLλ then I have to find lamba ( which I'm unsure of how to do).
SteamKing wants you to draw a graph of ##\lambda## vs. ##x## so you can figure out an expression for ##\lambda(x)##.

SteamKing said:
No, I mean draw a graph which plots the value of the density of the candle along its length.

You know the length of the candle (2 meters; rather large, actually), and you know the density in mass per unit length at the top and bottom of the candle (10 kg/m and 1 kg/m, respectively).

In other words, make a graph of this information.
Oh I understand now. I got a total mass of 22 kg. Is this correct?

andkand97 said:
Oh I understand now. I got a total mass of 22 kg. Is this correct?
Why don't you show your calculations?

Related to How do you find linear density given mass per kg?

1. What is linear density?

Linear density, also known as linear mass density, is a measure of the mass per unit length of a one-dimensional object. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ (rho) and has units of kilograms per meter (kg/m).

2. How is linear density different from mass per kg?

Linear density refers to the mass per unit length of an object, while mass per kg is the mass of an object divided by its total weight. In other words, linear density is a measure of how much mass is distributed along a specific length, while mass per kg is a measure of the total amount of mass in an object.

3. How do you calculate linear density given mass per kg?

In order to calculate linear density, you can use the formula ρ = m/L, where ρ is the linear density, m is the mass of the object, and L is the length of the object. To find the linear density given mass per kg, simply divide the given mass by the length of the object.

4. What are some common units of measurement for linear density?

The most common units of measurement for linear density are kilograms per meter (kg/m), grams per centimeter (g/cm), and pounds per inch (lb/in).

5. Why is linear density an important concept in science?

Linear density is an important concept in science because it allows us to analyze and compare the distribution of mass within different objects. It is especially useful in fields like physics, engineering, and materials science, where understanding the properties of different materials and structures is crucial.