How Do You Find the Center of Mass for a Non-Uniform Bar Using Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of an unevenly distributed bar with a given equation for its mass at a point, and then finding the center of mass. The first part is solved by integrating and evaluating the equation, resulting in a mass of 2 kg. However, the approach used to find the center of mass by setting the equation equal to half the mass and solving for x is incorrect. The correct approach involves taking into account the leverage and using a formula for the barycenter or deriving one.
DLH112

Homework Statement

find the mass of an unevenly distributed bar with length 2 meters whos mass at a point is given by an equation 0.6 + x^2. Then find the center of mass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part (finding the mass) correctly, but I can't conceptually figure out why what i did to find the center of mass doesn't work.

integrate to get 0.6x + x^3/3 and evaluate from 0 to 2, to find that the mass is 2 kg.
What I tried to do to find the center of mass is just set that equation equal to half the mass and solve for X, however this is not correct and I do not know why...

Physics news on Phys.org
DLH112 said:

Homework Statement

find the mass of an unevenly distributed bar with length 2 meters whos mass at a point is given by an equation 0.6 + x^2. Then find the center of mass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part (finding the mass) correctly, but I can't conceptually figure out why what i did to find the center of mass doesn't work.

integrate to get 0.6x + x^3/3 and evaluate from 0 to 2, to find that the mass is 2 kg.
What I tried to do to find the center of mass is just set that equation equal to half the mass and solve for X, however this is not correct and I do not know why...
The approach you used would be correct if you were trying to find the location where 1/2 the mass is to the left and the other other 1/2 is to the right. :smile:

But that's not what you're being asked to find. :frown:

Here, the term "center of mass" needs to take into account the leverage involved. Sometimes the term is also called the barycenter, center of gravity, weighted center or point of balance. You're looking for the point such that if you were to grab the object at that point with your fingers, it would balance.

I'm guessing that you might find a formula for the barycenter (center of mass) from your textbook. With that, you can simply plug and chug.

Or you could derive the formula yourself. If you define r as the distance from the barycenter xc to some small mass dm, then you need to set up an equation such that the sum of all r dm on one side of xc equals the sum of all r dm on the other side of xc. Then solve for xc.

Good luck! :smile:

Related to How Do You Find the Center of Mass for a Non-Uniform Bar Using Calculus?

1. What is a non-uniform mass?

A non-uniform mass refers to an object or system that has varying mass throughout its structure. This means that different parts of the object have different densities and thus different masses.

2. How is calculus used to study non-uniform mass?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It is used to analyze the behavior of non-uniform mass by looking at how its mass is distributed and how it changes over time or space.

3. What are some real-world applications of studying non-uniform mass with calculus?

Studying non-uniform mass with calculus has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to understand the behavior of fluids, the motion of objects, and the structure of complex systems like galaxies.

4. What are the key concepts in calculus that are important for studying non-uniform mass?

The key concepts in calculus that are important for studying non-uniform mass include differentiation, integration, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These concepts allow scientists to analyze how mass is distributed and how it changes over time or space.

5. What are some challenges when using calculus to study non-uniform mass?

One of the main challenges when using calculus to study non-uniform mass is the complexity of the calculations involved. Non-uniform mass systems can be very intricate and require advanced mathematical techniques to accurately model and analyze. Additionally, obtaining precise measurements of mass distribution can also be difficult in certain cases.