How do you find the dimension of the null space of a matrix A?

In summary, we are given a matrix A that is nxn and satisfies An=0 and An-1 is not equal to 0. We are asked to find the dimension of the null space of A. By splitting An and An-1, we can conclude that the column space of An-1 is a subset of the null space of A. Therefore, the dimension of the null space of A is greater than or equal to the dimension of the column space of A^(n-1). Additionally, we can see that the dimension of the null space of An is n. And finally, we can show through induction that the dimension of the null space of A is equal to 1.
descendents

Homework Statement

Given A is nxn matrix. An=0 and An-1 [tex]\neq[/tex] 0.
Find dim(null (A))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I split An= A An-1=0.
From this, I conclude that

column space of An-1[tex]\subseteq[/tex]null space of A

because if we think that

An-1=[v1 v2 v3 v4 ...] (vi is column vector of An-1),

we can get
An=A An-1 =[Av1 Av2 Av3 ...] = 0.

Then, dim(null(A))[tex]\geq[/tex]dim(Col(A^{n-1})).

2.dim(null(An))=n since An=0.

3.dim(null(An-1)) [tex]\leq[/tex] dim(null(An))
Since if we let v be in null space of An-1, we can get Anv=0.
Then we conclude that v is in null space of An

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
could you show that null(A^(n-1)) is a subset of null(A^n)? and consider a form of induction back to A?

Last edited:
Just to be sure aren't we going to say

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & \ldots & a_{1n} \\ \vdots &\vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\ a_{n1} & a_{n2} & \cdots & a_{nn} \end{pmatrix}^n = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ \vdots \\ 0_n \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

When the vectors which spans the corresponding Vectorspace V then this has the dimension n if and only n > 1? Hence the second condition?

Doesn't this result in the that as long as n > 1 that the dimension of the nullspace meaning the set of solutions for Ax = 0 will have dimension n?? Because V contains and infinite number of vectors??

Last edited:
i was more thinking clearly thinking the nullspace of A^n is all of R^n..

Clearly the nullspace of A^n-1, must be less than that and so is a proper subset of null(A^n)

If you could show that for similar i, i-1, then you would inductively get to the point where dim(null(A))=1, though i haven't worked through the details and there may be another way to get there

Related to How do you find the dimension of the null space of a matrix A?

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It involves the use of algebraic manipulation and geometric concepts to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, optimization, data analysis, and image processing, among others.

What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems involving linear transformations and systems of equations.

What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. Vectors are used to represent points in space, while matrices are used to perform operations on vectors and other matrices.

How is Linear Algebra used in computer graphics?

Linear Algebra is used extensively in computer graphics to manipulate and transform 2D and 3D objects. It is used to represent the position, orientation, and scale of objects, as well as to perform operations such as rotation, scaling, and translation. Matrices and vectors are also used to define the color and texture of objects in computer graphics.