How Do You Find the Equation of a Plane Perpendicular to the YZ-Plane?

In summary, to find the general form of the equation of the plane with the given characteristics (passes through (0,2,4) and (-1,-2,0) and is perpendicular to yz-plane), you need to determine the displacement vector between the two given points and cross it with <1, 0, 0> to find a normal vector to the plane. Then, you can use this normal vector and one of the given points to determine the general form of the equation of the plane.
plutolover
find the general form of the equation of the plane with the given characteristics:

passes through (0,2,4) and (-1,-2,0) and is perpendicular to yz-plane

I know what the general form of an equation is, but I was wondering, do I set the direction vector to be <0,1,1> or <1,0,0>? How do I use this to determine the general form of the equation?

I started by determining the vector given by the two points and then used this vector with the cross product of the two vectors mentioned above, but I am not sure what to do after that?...

Physics news on Phys.org
plutolover said:
find the general form of the equation of the plane with the given characteristics:

passes through (0,2,4) and (-1,-2,0) and is perpendicular to yz-plane

I know what the general form of an equation is, but I was wondering, do I set the direction vector to be <0,1,1> or <1,0,0>? How do I use this to determine the general form of the equation?
The displacement vector between your two given points can be crossed with <1, 0, 0> to produce a vector that is normal to your plane.
plutolover said:
I started by determining the vector given by the two points and then used this vector with the cross product of the two vectors mentioned above, but I am not sure what to do after that?...

When you post a problem, don't delete the template elements. They are there for a reason.

Related to How Do You Find the Equation of a Plane Perpendicular to the YZ-Plane?

1. What is the difference between a line and a plane?

A line is a one-dimensional object that extends infinitely in both directions, while a plane is a two-dimensional object that extends infinitely in all directions. In other words, a line has no width or depth, while a plane has both width and depth.

2. How are lines and planes represented mathematically?

A line can be represented by an equation in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. A plane can be represented by an equation in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term.

3. How many points are needed to uniquely define a line?

Two points are needed to uniquely define a line. This is because any two distinct points will determine a unique line that passes through both of them.

4. Can a line and a plane intersect at more than one point?

No, a line and a plane can only intersect at one point. This is because a line is a one-dimensional object while a plane is a two-dimensional object, so they cannot share more than one point in common.

5. What is the shortest distance between a point and a plane?

The shortest distance between a point and a plane is the length of the perpendicular line that connects the point to the plane. This can be calculated using the formula d = |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A^2 + B^2 + C^2), where (x, y, z) is the coordinates of the point and A, B, C, and D are the coefficients of the plane equation.