How Do You Find the First Term in the nth Bracket of This Number Sequence?

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult question involving a set of integers grouped in brackets. The first part is to find the total integers in the first (n-1) brackets, which is (n-1)^2. The second part is to show that the first number in the first term of the nth bracket is n^2-2n+2. The sequence representing the first term in each bracket is 1, 2, 5, 10, 17, etc., and the challenge is to find a pattern. The solution is to recognize that the number of terms in the first (n-1) brackets is (n-1)^2, making the first term of the nth bracket (n-
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a very tricky question on my hands.

A set of integers are grouped as follows

[tex] (1), (2,3,4), (5,6,7,8,9),..., [/tex] until the nth bracket.

I have found the total integers in the first (n-1) brackets and it is [tex] (n-1)^2 [/tex]. The next part of the question is to show that the first number in the first term in the nth bracket is [tex] n^2-2n+2 [/tex]. What i did was to first write out the sequence representing the first term in each bracket,

[tex] 1,2,5,10,17,...[/tex]

but i can't seem to find any pattern with this sequence but have only seen that their difference is an arithmetic progression. How do I go about this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
You hardly have to show this. There are (n-1)² terms contained in the first (n-1) brackets. So the LAST term of the (n-1)th bracket is the number (n-1)². This makes the first term of the nth bracket (n-1)² + 1 = n² - 2n +2

And that sequence of #-s [itex] 1,2,5,10,17,26,... [/itex] can be described by

[tex] a_{n+1}=a_{n}+2n-1 [/tex]

Daniel.

Related to How Do You Find the First Term in the nth Bracket of This Number Sequence?

1. What is the nth term in a sequence?

The nth term in a sequence is the general term that represents the pattern in the sequence. It is typically denoted by "an" where n represents the position in the sequence.

2. How do you find the nth term in a sequence?

To find the nth term in a sequence, you need to first identify the pattern in the sequence. Then, you can use the formula for the general term of the sequence to find the value of the nth term.

3. What is the formula for the nth term in a sequence?

The formula for the nth term in a sequence is typically represented as an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term in the sequence, and d is the common difference between consecutive terms.

4. How do you solve a tricky question involving finding the nth term?

Solving a tricky question involving finding the nth term requires careful observation of the sequence and identifying any patterns or relationships between the terms. Then, you can use the formula for the nth term to find the missing term or value in the sequence.

5. Can the nth term formula be used for any type of sequence?

Yes, the nth term formula can be used for any type of sequence as long as there is a consistent pattern between the terms. However, some sequences may require a more complex formula depending on the type of pattern involved.