How Do You Find the Inverse Laplace Transform for a Given Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function H(s) for a system with the given differential equation and using inverse Laplace transform to find the function y(t). The poles of s are also mentioned as well as the region of convergence.
redundant6939

Homework Statement

Find [tex] H(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{X(s)} [/tex]
[tex]\frac {d^2y(t)}{dt^2} + a\frac {dy(t)}{dt} = x(t) + by(t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][s^2 + as - b] Y(s) = X(s)[/tex]
[tex] H(s) = \frac{1}{s^2+as-b} [/tex]

I assume the inverse is a sign or a cosine but unsure which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
redundant6939 said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex] H(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{X(s)} [/tex]
[tex]\frac {d^2y(t)}{dt^2} + a\frac {dy(t)}{dt} = x(t) + by(t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex][s^2 + as - b] Y(s) = X(s)[/tex]
[tex] H(s) = \frac{1}{s^2+as-b} [/tex]

I assume the inverse is a sign or a cosine but unsure which one.

If ##Y(s)## is the LT of ##y(t)##, what are the LTs of ##y'(t)## and ##y''(t)##?

Hint: not what you wrote.

You can use the Bromwich integral to find the inverse Laplace transform.
The poles of ##s## are ##s = \frac{-a\pm\sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}##
\begin{align}
\mathcal{L}^{-1}\Bigl\{\frac{1}{s^2 + as - b}\Bigr\} &= \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma -i\infty}^{\gamma +i\infty}\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b}ds\\
&= \sum\text{Res}\\
&= \lim_{s\to s_+}(s - s_+)\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b} + \lim_{s\to s_-}(s - s_-)\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b}
\end{align}
where ##s_+=\frac{-a + \sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}## and ##s_-=\frac{-a - \sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}##

Ray Vickson said:
If ##Y(s)## is the LT of ##y(t)##, what are the LTs of ##y'(t)## and ##y''(t)##?

Hint: not what you wrote.

The LT of ##y'(t)## and ##y''(t)## are sY[s} and ##s^2Y## respectively. I am not sure what you mean exactly.

Dustinsfl said:
You can use the Bromwich integral to find the inverse Laplace transform.
The poles of ##s## are ##s = \frac{-a\pm\sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}##
\begin{align}
\mathcal{L}^{-1}\Bigl\{\frac{1}{s^2 + as - b}\Bigr\} &= \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma -i\infty}^{\gamma +i\infty}\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b}ds\\
&= \sum\text{Res}\\
&= \lim_{s\to s_+}(s - s_+)\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b} + \lim_{s\to s_-}(s - s_-)\frac{e^{st}}{s^2 + as - b}
\end{align}
where ##s_+=\frac{-a + \sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}## and ##s_-=\frac{-a - \sqrt{a^2 + 4b}}{2}##

The region of convergence then, would it be btw the two values of s?

redundant6939 said:
The region of convergence then, would it be btw the two values of s?

You need to find y(t) for the ROC.

redundant6939 said:
The LT of ##y'(t)## and ##y''(t)## are sY[s} and ##s^2Y## respectively. I am not sure what you mean exactly.

What I mean is that your statements above are false, in general. Consult a table of Laplace transforms to see what you should have written.

Related to How Do You Find the Inverse Laplace Transform for a Given Differential Equation?

What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that is used to transform a function from the frequency domain to the time domain. It is the inverse of the Laplace Transform, which transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

Why is the Inverse Laplace Transform important?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is important because it allows us to analyze and solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the frequency domain. This makes it a powerful tool in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

What is the process for finding the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The process for finding the Inverse Laplace Transform involves first taking the Laplace Transform of the function, then using a table of Laplace Transforms to find the corresponding function in the time domain. This involves using complex algebra and partial fraction decomposition.

Are there any limitations to the Inverse Laplace Transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Inverse Laplace Transform. It may not always be possible to find the Inverse Laplace Transform of a function, especially if the function is not continuous or does not have a Laplace Transform. In some cases, the Inverse Laplace Transform may also involve complex numbers, which can make it difficult to interpret the resulting function.

How is the Inverse Laplace Transform used in real-world applications?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is used in various real-world applications such as electrical circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, and probability theory. It is also used in the field of engineering to model and analyze dynamic systems, and in physics to study phenomena such as heat transfer and wave propagation.