How Do You Find the Inverse of an Exponential Matrix?

In summary, we have a matrix with dimension NxN. For some m belonging to N, m0, we have A^m0=0. We consider the exponential matrix e^A=I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!). We need to find the inverse matrix of e^A. Using the property that if A and B commute, then exp(A+B)=exp(A)exp(B), we can find the inverse by setting B = -A and solving for exp(-A). This results in a simple expression for the inverse, which is valid for any square matrix A.
chester20080
We have a matrix with dimension NxN.For some m belongs to N,m0 we have A^m0=0.We consider the exponential matrix e^A=I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!).Find the inverse matrix of e^A.
I tried to write the e^A=e^A(m0)+A^m/(m!) or (e^A)^(-1)=( I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!))^(-1)=I+A^(-1)(I+2/3A(-1)+1/(m!)(A^(-1))^(m-1)) or (e^A)^(-1)=(e^(-1))^A=(1/e)^A=1/(e^A)=1/( I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!)),but I don't know how to proceed any further.How am I supposed to end up with m0 and the result of (e^A)^(-1) will equal to something(A),(A^(-1)?Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
chester20080 said:
We have a matrix with dimension NxN.For some m belongs to N,m0 we have A^m0=0.We consider the exponential matrix e^A=I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!).Find the inverse matrix of e^A.
I tried to write the e^A=e^A(m0)+A^m/(m!) or (e^A)^(-1)=( I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!))^(-1)=I+A^(-1)(I+2/3A(-1)+1/(m!)(A^(-1))^(m-1)) or (e^A)^(-1)=(e^(-1))^A=(1/e)^A=1/(e^A)=1/( I+A+A^2/(2!)+A^2/(3!)+A^m/(m!)),but I don't know how to proceed any further.How am I supposed to end up with m0 and the result of (e^A)^(-1) will equal to something(A),(A^(-1)?Please help.
I cannot read a word of that. Please put a little bit of formatting into that.

Sorry for that.For convenience I have a picture of the above.

Attachments

• PC150039.jpg
    PC150039.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 813
Hint: What is the general form for the inverse matrix of the matrix exponential?

I don't know.We haven't learned anything for exponential matrices.Should I consider a function or something like that?But we haven't been taught how to combine matrices and functions as well.

Last edited:
For real and complex numbers, the exponential function is defined by ##\exp(z) = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} z^r/r!## The matrix exponential is defined analogously: ##\exp(A) = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} A^r/r!## Note that this assumes that ##A^r## makes sense. It doesn't make sense for an NxM matrix with N≠M. The matrix exponential is only defined for square matrices. It makes sense for square matrices because even though matrix multiplication is not commutative in general, it is for powers of a matrix: ##AA^n=A^nA##, and thus ##A^{n+1}## is well-defined.

A useful identity for any two complex numbers u and v is that ##\exp(u+v) = \exp(u)\exp(v)##. This identity is not necessarily the case for square matrices: ##\exp(A+B)## is not necessarily equal to ##\exp(A)\exp(B)## for any two NxN matrices A and B. It does hold if A and B commute.

You can use this identity for commuting matrices to find the inverse of ##\exp(A)##.

Where did you come across this problem?

Our professor in the university has this in a project we have to give in after the holidays for linear algebra...So the inverse of exp(A) will be found as a function of A,inverse A...what?But,yet,how will I proceed from exp(A)*exp(-A)=I (1),in order to find exp(-A),which is the inverse matrix to find?What will happen to the term A^m/(m!)?And first of all how will I show that there is the inverse matrix of exp(A) so as to begin from (1)?

This is a *lot* simpler than you are making it out to be. You apparently already know that ##(\exp(A))^{-1} = \exp(-A)##. So compute ##\exp(-A)##. This isn't that hard! What's the general case? Next use the fact that your matrix A is nilpotent.

Something like this:exp(-A)= I-A+A^2/2-A^3/6+...+-A^m1/m1!,where m1 is the value right before the value for which A^m=0?And now what?That's it?

So the inverse of exp(A) equals with something that has the term m1?Why I don't feel it right?Are you sure?

chester20080 said:
So the inverse of exp(A) equals with something that has the term m1?Why I don't feel it right?Are you sure?

What doesn't feel right? Suppose ##A^2=0##. Then exp(A)=I+A. exp(-A)=I-A. (I+A)(I-A)=I, can you see why?

Yes,but the answer took me only a couple of lines to write.I mean it can't be that simple!And we have to take cases for m1 in order to determine the sign before A^m1,right?

chester20080 said:
Yes,but the answer took me only a couple of lines to write.I mean it can't be that simple!And we have to take cases for m1 in order to determine the sign before A^m1,right?

The m1 term is (-A)^m1/m1!. If you want to write that as a power of A, then you could write (-1)^m1*A^m1/m1!. No need for cases. If you want to make the problem a LOT harder you could try to prove by expanding terms that exp(A)*exp(-A)=I. But I don't think you have to do that.

Ok,thank you!

Dick said:
If you want to make the problem a LOT harder you could try to prove by expanding terms that exp(A)*exp(-A)=I. But I don't think you have to do that.
It's not that hard if someone has already gone to the trouble of showing that if matrices A and B commute then ##\exp(A+B)=\exp(A)\exp(B)##. Set B=-A. This obviously commutes with A, so ##\exp(A+B)=\exp(A)\exp(B)## applies. With ##B=-A##, the right hand side becomes ##\exp(A)\exp(B) = \exp(A)\exp(-A)## while the left hand side becomes ##\exp(A+B)=\exp(A+(-A))=\exp(0)=I##. Thus ##\exp(A)\exp(-A)=I##, or the inverse of ##\exp(A)## is ##\exp(-A)## -- valid for any square matrix A.

Showing that ##\exp(A+B)=\exp(A)\exp(B)## for any two matrices A and B that commute -- now that takes some work.

Related to How Do You Find the Inverse of an Exponential Matrix?

What is an inverse of an exponential matrix?

An inverse of an exponential matrix is a matrix that when multiplied with the original exponential matrix gives the identity matrix. In other words, it undoes the effect of the original matrix.

How do you find the inverse of an exponential matrix?

To find the inverse of an exponential matrix, you can use the formula (eA)-1 = e-A, where A is the original exponential matrix. This means taking the inverse of each element in the matrix and then calculating the exponential of the resulting matrix.

Is the inverse of an exponential matrix always defined?

No, the inverse of an exponential matrix is not always defined. It is only defined for matrices that have a nonzero determinant. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix is not invertible and thus the inverse does not exist.

What is the significance of the inverse of an exponential matrix?

The inverse of an exponential matrix is significant because it allows us to solve equations involving exponential matrices and also perform operations like division with matrices. It also has applications in differential equations and other areas of mathematics.

Can an exponential matrix have multiple inverses?

No, an exponential matrix can only have one inverse. If a matrix has more than one inverse, then it is not a valid exponential matrix. Each exponential matrix has a unique inverse that satisfies the definition of an inverse.