How Do You Find the PDF of Z and Calculate Mean and Variance Using MGF?

• Thread starter silkdigital
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint Pdf
In summary, a joint probability density function (pdf) is a function that describes the probability of multiple variables taking on specific values simultaneously. It differs from a single-variable pdf in that it models the behavior of multiple random variables. A marginal pdf is obtained by integrating the joint pdf and represents the probability distribution of a single variable. A moment generating function (mgf) is a function used to calculate the moments of a probability distribution, particularly useful for complex distributions. The mgf of a joint pdf contains information about all the moments of the distribution and can be used to obtain important information about the behavior of the variables in the system.
silkdigital
Hi guys,

I'm really stuck on the following questions, not sure as to how to approach it:

Let X and Y be random variables for which the joint pdf is as follows:

f(x,y) = 2(x+y) for 0 <= x <= y <= 1
and 0 otherwise.

Find the pdf of Z = X + Y

And also:

Suppose that X is a random variable for which the mgf is as follows:

/u(t) = e^(t^2 + 3t) for minus infinity < t < infinity

Find the mean and variance for X.
I know that the answers are 3 and 2 respectively, but was unsure how they got to the answer, do I need to integrate by parts?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org
silkdigital said:
Hi guys,

I'm really stuck on the following questions, not sure as to how to approach it:

Let X and Y be random variables for which the joint pdf is as follows:

f(x,y) = 2(x+y) for 0 <= x <= y <= 1
and 0 otherwise.

Find the pdf of Z = X + Y

And also:

Suppose that X is a random variable for which the mgf is as follows:

/u(t) = e^(t^2 + 3t) for minus infinity < t < infinity

Find the mean and variance for X.
I know that the answers are 3 and 2 respectively, but was unsure how they got to the answer, do I need to integrate by parts?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys :)

I'll address the second question only. The moments are obtained from the moment generating function by simply taking derivatives and setting t = 0. As you must be aware, the variance is the second moment minus square of first moment.

Figured out second question now, pretty straightforward in hindsight. Any help on the first one? ;)

silkdigital said:
Figured out second question now, pretty straightforward in hindsight. Any help on the first one? ;)

Have you tried a transformation? Let u = x + y. Now use that transformation to get a integral in terms of u, take into account limits and then use transformation theorem to relate g(u) = 2(x+y) = 2u to another PDF f(u) which represents the distribution of Z.

For the first question, to find the pdf of Z = X + Y, we can use the cumulative distribution function (CDF) approach.

Let Fz(z) be the CDF of Z. Then, we have:

Fz(z) = P(Z <= z) = P(X + Y <= z)

Since X and Y are non-negative and have a joint pdf defined over 0 <= x <= y <= 1, we can rewrite the above as:

Fz(z) = ∫∫ f(x,y) dx dy, where the limits of integration are 0 <= x <= min(z-y, 1) and y <= z-x

We can then solve this integral to get the CDF of Z. Taking the derivative of this with respect to z will give us the pdf of Z.

For the second question, to find the mean and variance of X, we can use the moment generating function (MGF) approach.

The MGF of X is defined as:

Mx(t) = E[e^(tX)]

To find the mean and variance, we can use the following formulas:

Mean = Mx'(0)
Variance = Mx''(0) - [Mx'(0)]^2

So, to find the mean, we can differentiate the MGF with respect to t and then evaluate it at t = 0. Similarly, to find the variance, we can differentiate the MGF twice with respect to t and then evaluate it at t = 0.

In this case, we have the MGF as e^(t^2 + 3t). Differentiating this once gives us 2te^(t^2 + 3t), and evaluating it at t = 0 gives us the mean as 3.

Similarly, differentiating the MGF twice gives us (4t + 6)e^(t^2 + 3t), and evaluating it at t = 0 gives us the variance as 2.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do You Find the PDF of Z and Calculate Mean and Variance Using MGF?

1. What is a joint probability density function (pdf)?

A joint probability density function (pdf) is a function that describes the probability of multiple variables taking on specific values simultaneously. It is used to model the behavior of multiple random variables in a system.

2. How is a joint pdf different from a single-variable pdf?

A single-variable pdf describes the probability of a single random variable taking on a specific value, while a joint pdf describes the probability of multiple variables taking on specific values simultaneously.

3. What is the relationship between a joint pdf and a marginal pdf?

A marginal pdf is obtained by integrating the joint pdf over all possible values of the other variables, leaving only the variable of interest. It represents the probability distribution of a single variable in a system.

4. What is the purpose of a moment generating function (mgf)?

A moment generating function (mgf) is a function that allows us to calculate the moments (such as mean and variance) of a probability distribution. It is particularly useful in finding the moments of complex distributions that cannot be easily calculated by hand.

5. How is the mgf related to the joint pdf?

The mgf of a joint pdf is a function that contains information about all the moments of the distribution. By taking derivatives of the mgf, we can calculate the moments of the joint pdf and obtain important information about the behavior of the variables in the system.