How Do You Find the Power Series Expansion of \( e^z \) at \( \pi i \)?

In summary, the function ##f(z) = e^{z}## has a power series expansion about the given point ##z_{o} = \pi i##. The series converges to 0 for all z in the complex plane.
Tsunoyukami
"[F]ind the power-series expansion about the given point for each of the functions; find the largest disc in which the series is valid.

10. ##e^{z}## about ##z_{o} = \pi i##" (Complex Variables, 2nd edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 133)$$f(z) = e^{z} = e^{z-a} \cdot e^{a} = e^{a} \cdot \sum \frac{(z-a)^{n}}{n!}$$

We set the center of the power series to be ##a = \pi i##; then:

$$f(z) = e^{a} \cdot \sum \frac{(z-a)^{n}}{n!} = e^{\pi i} \cdot \sum \frac{(z-\pi i)^{n}}{n!} = (-1) \sum \frac{(z-\pi i)^{n}}{n!}$$

I'm not sure if this is the "final" answer or if I'm supposed to write out the individual terms of the series. Is this correct?My second question pertains to the second half of the question, "find the largest disc in which the series is valid." The function ##f(z) = e^{z}## is entire; as a result, I would expect the disc to have infinite radius of convergence. Similarly, I would expect the series to be valid on a disk of infinite radius centered at ##z_{o} = \pi i##. Is this the correct interpretation?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems correct to me.

Tsunoyukami said:
My second question pertains to the second half of the question, "find the largest disc in which the series is valid." The function ##f(z) = e^{z}## is entire; as a result, I would expect the disc to have infinite radius of convergence. Similarly, I would expect the series to be valid on a disk of infinite radius centered at ##z_{o} = \pi i##. Is this the correct interpretation?

That's right. But can you also prove it by referring only to the series, and not to the function ##e^z##? That is, can you explicitely show the series converges for all ##z##?

Thanks for the prompt reply. The fact that ##e^{\pi i} = -1## does not have any effect on the radius of convergence of the power series, correct (ie. it does not effect where the power series is valid)?

micromass said:
That's right. But can you also prove it by referring only to the series, and not to the function ##e^z##? That is, can you explicitely show the series converges for all ##z##?

Would it be sufficient to attempt to show that the radius of convergence of the power series approached infinity? I would try to show this by using a test for convergence of a (power) series and show that the series converges to 0.

This would follow from the assertion that

##\frac {1}{R} = lim |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}|##, as n approaches infinity (and likewise for the root test)

It certainly doesn't. The validity of the power series can be determined by the ratio test.

Excellent! Thank you very much, both of you!

By applying the ratio test I would be able to show that the radius of convergence is infinity, and thus, the power series is valid for all z in the complex plane. Thanks!

FAQ: How Do You Find the Power Series Expansion of \( e^z \) at \( \pi i \)?

What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial multiplied by a power of a variable. It is a useful tool in calculus and analysis for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

What is the general form of a power series expansion?

The general form of a power series expansion is ∑n=0∞ an(x-c)n, where an are the coefficients, x is the variable, and c is the center of the expansion. This form is also known as the Taylor series.

How do you find the coefficients in a power series expansion?

The coefficients in a power series expansion can be found by using the Taylor series formula: an = f(n)(c)/n!, where f(n)(c) is the nth derivative of the function evaluated at the center c. Alternatively, the coefficients can also be found by using the binomial theorem for specific types of functions.

What is the radius of convergence in a power series expansion?

The radius of convergence in a power series expansion is the distance from the center at which the series converges. It is determined by using the ratio test, which compares the series to a geometric series. The series will converge within the radius and diverge outside of it.

What are the applications of power series expansion in science?

Power series expansion has many applications in science, including calculating values of functions that cannot be expressed in closed form, approximating solutions to differential equations, and solving problems in physics and engineering. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis to model and understand complex systems.