How Do You Formulate a Quadratic Equation with Given X-Intercepts?

In summary: Take the quadratic form of y=-3x+1 and solve for x. This will give you the x-intercepts. Once you have the x-intercepts, you can use the rule of correspondence to figure out the function's center.
unistudent123
"Find the rule of correspondence for a quadratic equation that is the same shape as y=x^2, with the only given information being x-intercepts at (-3, 0) and (1, 0)." I cannot for the life of me figure this out, and it's making me feel extremely stupid.
I know the answer to the question is y= (x+1)^2 - 4, but I'm not getting there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Best I know, I'd say the center of the function (corresponding to x = 0 for y = x^2) would be dead-center between any 2 points of the same height.

Thus, the center would be at (-3 + 1)/2 = -1

Then, I'd think the to plug in the value x = (1 - (-3))/2 = 2 to find the height of the untranslated function:

y = 2^2 = 4. Thus, wherever it is 4 originally, we want it to be zero, making the vertical translation -4.

So we add the vertical translation and plug in x minus the horizontal translation into the function:
f(x) = (x+1)^2 - 4

Think of it this way, what do the x-intercepts tell you about the equation? They're the zeros of the function. So x=-3 and x=1 are the zeros.

In other words, you can factor the equation as [itex]y=(x-1)(x+3)[/itex]. This will expand out to a quadratic form of the equation. You can further manipulate to give the answer you have.

unistudent123 said:
"Find the rule of correspondence for a quadratic equation that is the same shape as y=x^2, with the only given information being x-intercepts at (-3, 0) and (1, 0)." I cannot for the life of me figure this out, and it's making me feel extremely stupid.

I know the answer to the question is y= (x+1)^2 - 4, but I'm not getting there.
There are, in fact, an infinite number of quadratic functions that pass through (-3, 0) and (1, 0). I guess that "the same shape as y= x^2" is intended to mean that the leading coefficient is 1. Remember that you could find the intercepts, that is solve the equation x^2+ bx+ c= 0, by factoring. Work the other way.

FAQ: How Do You Formulate a Quadratic Equation with Given X-Intercepts?

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the second power (x^2) and has the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

What are the different ways to solve a quadratic equation?

There are three main methods for solving a quadratic equation: factoring, using the quadratic formula, and completing the square. Each method has its own advantages and is useful in different situations.

Why do people have trouble with quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations can be challenging because they involve multiple steps and can have a variety of solutions. Additionally, the quadratic formula can be difficult to remember and apply correctly.

Is there a shortcut to solving quadratic equations?

While there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for solving quadratic equations, there are some tips and tricks that can make the process easier. These include factoring by grouping, using the difference of squares formula, and recognizing common patterns in quadratic equations.

How do I know if I have solved a quadratic equation correctly?

To check if you have solved a quadratic equation correctly, you can substitute the values you found for x back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then you have solved it correctly. You can also graph the equation to visually confirm the solutions.

Back