How do you get cos{(a+b)}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b}?

• B
  • Thread starter Julia Coggins
  • Start date
In summary, by using Euler's formula and carrying out the multiplication, it can be shown that cos{a+b} and sin{a+b} can be obtained from cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} + i(sin{a}cos{b} + cos{a}sin{b}) by taking the real and imaginary parts respectively. This was discussed in response to a question about obtaining cos{a+b}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} from trying to use Euler's formula.
Julia Coggins
How do you get cos{a+b}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} from cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} + i(sin{a}cos{b} + cos{a}sin{b}?
From trying to use Euler's formula.
cos{a+b} + isin{a+b} = e^i(a+b)= e^ia + e^ib
(cos{a} + isin{a})(cos{b} + isin{b})

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Julia,
Simply carry out (write out) the multiplication: the real part is the ##\cos(\alpha + \beta)## expression and the imaginary part the ##\sin## one !

I'm just not sure how to put this in an equation that has sin(a + b) on one side or cos(a+b)

I know the real and imaginary parts, I just don't know how to show they're equal to cos{a + b} and sin{a+b} respectively.

[itex]cos(a+b)=(e^{i(a+b)}+e^{-i(a+b)})/2[/itex]
[itex]cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b)=[(e^{ia}+e^{-ia})(e^{ib}+e^{-ib})+(e^{ia}-e^{-ia})(e^{ib}-e^{-ib})]/4
=(e^{i(a+b)}+e^{-i(a+b)})]/2[/itex]

Julia Coggins said:
e^i(a+b)= e^ia + e^ib

No, that's not how exponents work. It should be $$e^{i(a+b)} = e^{ia} e^{ib}$$

EDIT. I see you've written it correctly below that line. If you carry out the multiplication, you'll find that the real part is what you're looking for.

1. [itex]e^{i(a+b)}= e^{ia}e^{ib} [/itex]
  2. [itex]e^{i(a+b)}= \cos(a+b) + i\sin(a+b) [/itex]
  3. [itex] e^{ia}e^{ib}=(\cos(a)+i\sin(a))\cdot (\cos(b)+i\sin(b))=(\cos(a) \cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b))+i(\sin(a)\cos(b)+\cos(a)sin(b))[/itex]
Now the real and imaginary parts must separately be equal to each other.

Hello Julia,
Julia Coggins said:
cos{a+b} + isin{a+b} = e^i(a+b)= e^ia + e^ib
(cos{a} + isin{a})(cos{b} + isin{b})
Sorry I missed the plus sign error. It should have been a multiplication. But on the next line you do write a multiplication, so I expect that + was just a typo.

Somewhat contrary to PF culture your helpers have given the full solution. Just to make sure: do you understand it all now ?

Yes, thanks all

FAQ: How do you get cos{(a+b)}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b}?

1. What is the formula for cos(a+b)?

The formula for cos(a+b) is cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b).

2. How is the formula derived?

The formula for cos(a+b) is derived using the angle sum identity for cosine, which states that cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b).

3. Can you provide an example of using the formula for cos(a+b)?

For example, if a = 30 degrees and b = 45 degrees, then cos(a+b) = cos(75) = cos(30)cos(45) - sin(30)sin(45) = (sqrt(3)/2)(sqrt(2)/2) - (1/2)(sqrt(2)/2) = (sqrt(6) - sqrt(2))/4.

4. How is the formula used in real life applications?

The formula for cos(a+b) is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the combined effects of two cosine functions.

5. Are there any other identities related to cos(a+b)?

Yes, there are other identities such as the angle difference identity for cosine, which states that cos(a-b) = cos(a)cos(b) + sin(a)sin(b), and the double angle identity for cosine, which states that cos(2a) = cos^2(a) - sin^2(a).