How Do You Handle the Negative Gain When Calculating Resistance?

In summary: The negative sign indicates that the output is inverted with respect to the input, which is typical for an inverting amplifier stage. The correct value for ##A_v## should be -5, leading to a positive value for ##R_S## of 2.5 kΩ. In summary, the given expression for calculating ##R_S## involves a negative sign, indicating that the output is inverted with respect to the input. The correct value for ##A_v## should be -5, resulting in a positive value for ##R_S## of 2.5 kΩ.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Calculate ##R_S## given the expression:

$$A_v = - \frac{g_m (R_L || R_D)}{1 + g_m R_S}$$

The parameters ##g_m = 1.292 \frac{mA}{V}##, ##R_L = 180 k \Omega##, ##R_D = 18 k \Omega##, ##A_v = 5 \frac{V}{V}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the negative sign. When I go to compute ##R_S##, do I pretend the negative sign isn't there or something? If I leave the negative sign in the calculation I get:

##R_S = - 4.05 k \Omega##

Resistances must be positive, so the above does not make physical sense.

If I pretend the negative sign isn't there then I get:

##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega##

What is the proper way to compute the resistance?

EDIT: I believe the gain should be ##A_v = -5 V/V## even though it was given as 5, so the resistance ##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega## should be correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is for a common-source amplifier with source resistance ##R_S##? If so, then you're right about ##A_v##.

Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Calculate ##R_S## given the expression:

$$A_v = - \frac{g_m (R_L || R_D)}{1 + g_m R_S}$$

The parameters ##g_m = 1.292 \frac{mA}{V}##, ##R_L = 180 k \Omega##, ##R_D = 18 k \Omega##, ##A_v = 5 \frac{V}{V}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the negative sign. When I go to compute ##R_S##, do I pretend the negative sign isn't there or something? If I leave the negative sign in the calculation I get:

##R_S = - 4.05 k \Omega##

Resistances must be positive, so the above does not make physical sense.

If I pretend the negative sign isn't there then I get:

##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega##

What is the proper way to compute the resistance?

EDIT: I believe the gain should be ##A_v = -5 V/V## even though it was given as 5, so the resistance ##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega## should be correct.
Generalizing post 2 a bit, I'd venture that the circuit is an inverting stage of some kind, be it MOSFET, JFET, BJT, vacuum tube, etc. - based.

rude man said:
Generalizing post 2 a bit, I'd venture that the circuit is an inverting stage of some kind, be it MOSFET, JFET, BJT, vacuum tube, etc. - based.
I just guessed it was FET-based from the subscripts, i.e. D, S, L for drain, source, load.

milesyoung said:
I just guessed it was FET-based from the subscripts, i.e. D, S, L for drain, source, load.
Sure.

Related to How Do You Handle the Negative Gain When Calculating Resistance?

What is negative gain and resistance?

Negative gain and resistance refer to the phenomenon where a system or circuit exhibits a decrease in output or opposition to current flow in response to an increase in input or voltage.

How is negative gain and resistance measured?

Negative gain and resistance can be measured using mathematical equations such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, as well as through experiments and simulations.

What are some examples of negative gain and resistance?

One example of negative gain and resistance is the behavior of a diode, where an increase in voltage causes a decrease in current flow. Negative feedback in amplifiers and electronic filters is also an example of negative gain and resistance.

What are the applications of negative gain and resistance?

Negative gain and resistance have various applications in electronics and engineering, such as in amplifiers, oscillators, and filters. They can also be used in signal processing and control systems.

How does negative gain and resistance differ from positive gain and resistance?

Negative gain and resistance differ from positive gain and resistance in that they exhibit an opposite response to changes in input or voltage. While positive gain and resistance result in an increase in output or current flow, negative gain and resistance cause a decrease.